Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Package and Deployment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaylabear

Programmer
Oct 23, 2002
CA
Hello Everyone,

I need help packaging and distributing my software.

I've recently built an application using Visual Basic 6, and I'd like to package it up

into one setup.exe file so that I can distribute it from my website.

I have tried using the "Package and Deployment Wizard", but when I do I get some

strange results. The end result is a setup.exe file, a setup.lst file, a Support folder

and a program.zip file. Furtharmore once I zip all this up the total file size is 23MB,

which is strange because my application is only 3KB.

I do not have the funds to purchase pricy installation software, can someone please

walk me through the packaging and deployment process, and/or direct me to

where I can find out more on this subject.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can delete the support folder from your zip. Beyond that it seems as if you did everything correctly.

Good Luck

Thanks vbSprgrmr that works great, but I have another tiny problem.

My application is developed on windows XP and I'm having trouble installing it on a windows 98 machine. Now I'm guessing I need to include the DCOM98 file to make it run properly.

How do I tell the installation wizard or aetup.exe file to run the DCOM98 file when necessary?

Do I use dependancies and if so, how do I use dependancies.

Thanks alot I really appreciate all your help.

Here are some threads to read about OS's and development and backward compatablility. My keyword search used "lowest common denominator", all words, last 6 months. You may want to search using other keywords.

thread222-474980
thread222-488127
thread222-495770
thread222-442142

Good Luck

Hi VBSprgrmr,

One last Question,

Am I to understand that if I take my code and recompile it on say Windows 98, then it will run on windows 98 as well as every newer version, but not windows 95.

Is this how it Works?

Yes, that is pretty much the case.

Good Luck

PS. its a five (5) not an Sssss (S)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back