Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Package and Deploy Access db 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer56

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
I have an Access db that I need to run on workstations that do not have Access installed. I am told that I can package and deploy the db, but I need software to do so. I have Access 2002.

I called MS and was told that I could use Visual Basic.net. I called back to ask a few questions, and was told by another person the only way to deploy the db was to use MSDE, which is only available in Office XP Developer or SQL Server Developer.

Before I lay out any money (both are expensive), I wanted to get the experts opinions.

What is the best way to package and deploy a db to users who don't have Access? What is the easiest software to to this.

Easiest would be to buy the Office Developer Edition and distribute the run-time version to users. Dont be fooled, though; just because it comes in .EXE format does not mean you will have more features/abilities. In fact, opening the database in the run-time version will provide less features than opening the corresponding MDB/MDE in Access.

I don't know of any "export to .NET" wizard, and I don't think one exists, so basically the person was saying "this .NET product is used for similar solutions, buy it." He could have told you to use Word VBA just as easily...well, that's a bad comparison, but you see what I mean.

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

Thanks. Since I already have Office XP, it seems wrong to have to buy Excel, Word, Access in another package just to get the Developer Tools. $800 to buy software I already have - ouch.

Maybe if I was smarter.....

I checked on upgrade eligibility. If you have a license of any version of Office 2000 or Office 97, you qualify for the Office XP Developer upgrade pride of $549. That's somewhat better.

I had a similar situation with Office 2000 Premium when I realized I wanted to upgrade to Developer. Luckily for me, there was an Office 2000 Developer Tools add-on package that upgraded at an incremental price. I was looking for the same thing for Office XP, but there doesn't seem to be such a thing.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Thanks for looking for me, I had already done the same. I have an old license of Office 2000, but I also found Office XP Developer on some discount software web sites for about $450. So this looks like the way to go.

As a heads up, the MS sales person told me SQL Server Developer has the MSDE tools, but that also costs about $500. Except that the price is dropping to $50 in August - seems no one is buying it.

Last - I signed up for the Microsoft Office System Beta 2003. According to MS, there are a number of Access developer tools icluded in the package. I won't release any code created in beta, but it will be nice to see what's included.

Not long ago our small company with 18 locations in 2 states debated whether to use run time editions of Access over a VPN OR developing a web-based solution. Because of our multiple locations, we chose the web-based solution. We had a local programmer build us pages using dot-net that interface with the MS Access 2002 database we have sitting on our server. The pages are used to input and extract data from the database residing on our server over the internet. But the heart of it is still the Access database. And we can expand it as needed. The initial cost for setup and programming was higher than a developer's edition, but only because we had to go outside to do the dot-net pages....oh, and setting up the server to put things on the web (behind a security screen of course). Maybe another take on your problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back