Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Package & Deployment Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

meca

Programmer
Aug 29, 2001
US
Hello,

I use the Package and Deployment wizard to package my VB 6.0 program. I have found that when users re-install the program, it creates a seperate instance of the program each time it is installed. For example, if I go to "Add/Remove Programs" I see

Program XYZ
Program XYZ # 1
Program XYZ # 2

Does anybody know I can set it up so that it installs the new version over the old version, rather than creating a new instance?

Thanks,

Chris

Well I know this isn't a direct solution to you problem but it is what fixed mine:

I didn't use the Package and Deployment Wizard.

I ended up using NullSoft's FREE installer.
very easy to use. I know there are other free ones out there that are even easier to use.

Like I said, it is not an exact solution. But just my suggestion. Sorry I could not actually help you.

-Matt

Other free installers include Visual Studio Installer (from microsoft) and INNO setup ( I switched to INNO and have had no problems.

Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Thanks for the reply's. Sounds like I'm wasting my time with the MS Package and Deployment wizard. I'll check out one of these other tools.

Thanks Again,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back