Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

p550Q 4-way

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoangkim

Technical User
Jan 4, 2004
CA
p550Q 4-way...
What does 4-way mean?

Thanks in advance.

That means it has 4 CPUs (If I have it correct, it has two chips with each of them 2 cores).

You can run that server as one LPAR running all four CPUs
or (with an HMC) partitioned into 4 LPARs each running 1 CPU or (with an HMC and the APV feature) up to 40 SPLPARS each running .1 CPU.

That last number is a configuration maximum, you'll be limited by other factors (CPU need per LPAR e.g. one or two VIO servers will be using more than .1 CPU - typically .5 CPU - and also the amount of memory you have to share among the SPLPARs)

HTH,

p5wizard

I need to purchase a p5 550 soon. I would like to have 4 LPARS,. Does it means I have to have 5 LPARS in total,1 LPAR is for the VIO. But if I use an HMC, can I do without the VIO?

Thanks in advance.

VIO is a logical partition on the Pseries.HMC is a intel inside pc. So if you want four Lpar can access extend storage disk array through HBA and you just paid less than four HBAs,you must use VIO. VIO is a virtul network and storage server for other logical patition.
Notice ,VIO is a APV component and you must pay it alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back