Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P4 vs P3Celeron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I just read from a local magazine that they had done a test
on comparing performance on 1.6G-P4 and 1.3G-P3celeron.
To my surprise, they come very close, so close that I feel
very uncomfortable which path should I choose if I am to
install new machines for our clients. Can somebody comment
on this subject?? OOh there is also the 1.7G-P4 celeron which
I don't think is worth mentioning here (what a crap)

Unless your client is doing something with graphics or something, save the bucks and get the celerons. Probably 80% of the business PCs I work on are more powerful than the users need, and most of the ones that need upgrading just need a bump in RAM.

For basic MS-Office and that type of stuff, the Celeron will do fine.

but then again if you are using it to do big number crunching and databases the celerons will be left behind the p4... I own a P4 1.6 and it is the most awsomest pc I have used .... but then again I have juiced it up with video cards ddr memory and crap like that .....

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

Cheak out AMD XP 1.7 or higher they are alot better and alot cheaper for instance a amd xp 1.7 will run the same as about a p4 2.1 just a small fraction underneath that.

jexster

In fact, one of our machines is a XP1800+ but I don't think
it is much better. This machine we had, we play 'space cadet'
which is an old microsoft game that has been around for a
couple of years already. We found that the screen response
was so sticky that it seems to be worse than an old 433 celeron.
Maybe we use a terrible mobo (I don't want to mention the
brand name) and I think we will tried to swap a Asus mobo
sooner to test it again. By the way, how good are the P4
and the celerons compared when use in a small server use
as a database server /w just a few users logging in sim.

I would never recommend a Celeron for server use - it is specifically designed as a budget workstation solution. The cache is far too small - especially for a database.

It is true that Athlon XPs are faster than Pentium 4s of the same rating (and higher) - your screen response issue is probably more down to the graphics card than anything else. If your machine has an Athlon XP and feels slow, then the whole setup is suspect, IMO. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

I didn't realize that there were still die hard Intel fans out there.
That is not to say that the P4 isn't an excellent processor BUT! it is pretty much common knowledge now that AMD's XP gives a bigger bang for buck! it is infact so well documented that anyone not knowing this fact must have their head burried in the sand.
If money was never an issue then I would own a Northwood P4 tomorrow and so would my customers, but it is! and I don't! .
It does sound like you are trying to talk yourself into the Celeron's even though you know the P4 is better! So go for the XP and have the power without the expence!
Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Actually i have a p4 1.8 but i built a amd xp 1.7 for my brother and i am more impressed with his over mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back