Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P4 Upgrade.....Before I start....

Status
Not open for further replies.

royhouser

Programmer
May 15, 2002
US
I'm upgrading my computer to a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz processor, new Intel motherboard, and Power Supply. Is there anything that I should do before installing the parts. I'm running Windows XP Pro. royhouser
[hourglass]
If you think it's impossible...somebody else will set out to prove you wrong.

lol...Thanks...Say one for me. I was told that it would be plug and play, but I was also told that if something wasn't installed then it would crash my system. royhouser
[hourglass]

You may need to change the voltage. I'm probably gonna be seeking help on that myself in a couple weeks.

But let some else more knowledgable than myself address that for ya.

XP is the most forgiving of a major hardware change.
Tip #1) Open device mangler, and change your primary and secondary IDE controllers to Standard IDE, instead of the Via or whatever they are now.
Tip #2) Worst case scenario, you need to run a repair of XP.
Tip #3) Don't foget that you'll probably have to reactivate the OS with Microsoft afterwards. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

The IDE Controllers are currently set to PIO, the only other option is DMA (when available). Which should I use? royhouser
[hourglass]

Change the voltages? practically all new motherboards sense voltage requirements and auto set.
All you usually have to do is setup the bios when it first posts.
As this will be a new platform and all drivers on your hard drive were configured for your old setup, it is advisable to format and clean install your operating system, many try to avoid doing this and often it appears at first that the O/S reconfigures to the new hardware without problems, it is only after a few days that issues arise, errors appear and then you wish you had done it properly in the first place.
Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

What BIOS settings? What's the difference between PIO and DMA? If by voltages you mean enough Power. I'm ugrading my Power Supply to 350. royhouser
[hourglass]

Thank god for the auto voltage sensing. I havent put one together since back in 1995.

In Device Mangler, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers...it should list different stuff. Change anything that might say VIA IDE, or Intel Bus master IDE... to Standard IDE, especially if you're changing chipsets, like VIA board to an SIS or Intel to VIA, whatever... Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I tried this last fall, with XP and new MB and CPU. It didn't work. Had to reformat and reload XP. Let me know how it went.
Dave

Dave,
I've done a couple already recently, and the results have been good so far. I tried loading the *.INF file for the P4 drivers before installing the board it won't load them b/c the "Current operating system already supports this chipset" When I load the new parts I have had to, change the bios to read the CD as bootable and put it before the HDD in the boot order, use the XP install disk, and when it finds the current version it will give you the option to repair the current version. So far doing that, repairing, has worked. I've had others tell me that it won't work and I'll have to reformat, but so far so good. I'll let you know if I have to reload in the near future. royhouser
[hourglass]
More is lost by Indecision than Wrong Decisions

Nobody should have to format and reload XP on a motherboard/CPU change.
A repair will always work, provided the BIOS settings are correct, and you didn't try changing the modem, NIC, and sound card at the same time ;-)
There are exceptions that prove the rule. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Comtech,
I absolutely agree with you, nobody should have to reformat after a motherboard/CPU change.
A repair will always work but unfortunately for me it often doesn't,
I would a very happy bunny if it were that simple and straight forward but many on this site have had issues after an upgrade without a clean installation.
I read your past posts with great interest explaining in detail how it should be done, you obviously know your onions, it's just that my experiences have unfortunately been differant to yours.
All the best Comtech. Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

The single biggest problem with a motherboard/CPU change in XP, are the IDE device drivers. Any time the chipset is differrent, the IDE bus is adressed differently than previously. By setting, or completely removing the IDE drivers in device mangler via Safe mode before hand, usually results in a cleaner, easier repair.
To further simplify the issue, I never have any other devices in the system, other than video, for the repair, and then add devices one at a time, afterwards.
Yes, it takes time. Yes, you have to be patient.
In my experience, failed repairs happen because;
a)The user is too impatient.
b)The BIOS is set wrong.
c)Both a and b. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back