Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P4 or Celeron

Status
Not open for further replies.

neepshed

IS-IT--Management
Aug 17, 2002
GB
Hi I am looking to upgrade a machine. to provide different cost alternatives I am comparing AMD with intel. However when I compare Celeron and P4 I am a bit confused.

I see you can purchase a 400MHz Celeron chip. When I come to look into motherboards the all support P4 but none of them mention Celeron compatibility.

Does a mobo that supports P4 also support Celeron 400MHz.

Can anyone recommend a suitable mobo?

thanks.

No, a mobo that supports P4 doesn't support a celeron 400.
First of all the socket in which the cpu is inserted is different. Secondly the FSB (front size bus) is to high for a celeron 400.

If you want a mobo recommendation and cpu, I just bought the ASUS A7V8X and a AMD ATHLON XP 2400+. A super combination. Fast, stable and not that expensive. The mobo costs around €129 and the cpu €239.

Greetings

Well I probably didnt ask the question very well.

You do get a socket 478 Celeron processor with a 400 MHz FSB.

And I know intel have mobos that support both chips. Does anyone else support 2 chips?

I think that most of the new P4 motherboards support the celeron chip, the biggest part of the decision would be, what are you going to do with the computer? If you are going to be gaming, or doing heavy duty 3D graphics, then definately go with the P4. If all you are going to do is write papers, surf the web, email, etc, go with the Celeron. There is no reason to pay for the extra power if you aren't going to use it. Personally I would go with Intel over AMD also. I used to be a die hard AMD fan, but getting them to work with the VIA chipset can be a headache sometimes. Intel work great since the motherboards usually have intel north and south bridges. Less to deal with and you won't have to install the VIA 4-in-1 drivers every time you install a new OS.

ToryG

The Celeron Processor's that work on some (Not all) P4 motherboards are 1.7 Gig and higher. Not all P4 motherboards support the Celeron CPU's. I don't know if this is a voltage issue or a detection issue for the chipset and CM0S/BIOS. A lot of motherboards use auto detection so it may be a simple BIOS flash that fixes the problem.

I would not advise blindly using the Celeron on a P4 motherboard. The Celerons for the P4 only have a 128k L2 Cache. This limits their ability to compete with P4 Processor's with 256k or 512k L2 Cache.

If you are looking for an inexpensive solution try to save money by going with an AMD motherboard with the KT266A chipset that uses PC2100 DDR MEMORY, and USB 1.1. An example is the Asus A7V266-E which is a very stable VIA chipset and is AMD Assured that is on sale at: for $75.00. This was a $140.00 motherboard just 6 months ago. With a BIOS Flash it can handle up to a XP2200. It can handle only 200/266 AMD Processors. I was thinking about buying a second one. Another board on sale was the Asus GForce1 220 chipset for just a few dollars less.

Alternatively the Asus GForce2 chipset motherboard with 8X AGP RUNS about $120.00 at New Egg Also. For just not too much more you get a more modern motherboard. A good suggestion is to buy the maximum you can afford and to buy it all at once due to the Warranty and return problems.
If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I totally agree with ceh4702; for the money, an AMD Athlon XP setup will give much better performance than either a Celeron or a P4 (400Mhz FSB). The new 333Mhz FSB Athlons are not far behind the much more expensive 533Mhz FSB P4s in terms of performance either.

I would recommend a KT333/400 motherboard over a KT266A, however, and advise caution on the NForce2 chipsets. KT333/400 boards tend to be feature-packed as well - check out the MSI KT4 Ultra FISR.

If, however, you're committed to Intel, my choice is 533Mhz FSB Pentium 4, and forget Celerons. Ensure you get a quality board, however.

:) CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Hello,

I experienced a lot of problems related to Direct3D on my former system which was AMD-based. I searched for long before I understood I faced compatibility problems. But in general, AMD processors are great. If you plan to use 3D rendering, you should pay attention on the motherboard's chipset. I had a lot of problems with 2 SiS chipsets I tried. VIA seems more stable (according to people that had no problems with the same software as me).

Now I am running my AMD as a server, and it is working very well. My personal computer is a P4, I was upset about the price, that's true, but it's a Rolls Royce. Silent, reliable, extremely fast, never heating... it's worth the price (given you do not buy the latest frequencies : I'd suggest you not to spend more than a 2 Ghz).

Cheers

Grunt

I see nothing wrong with a Celeron as far as compatability goes. I have one computer with a 1.2 Gig Celeron on a PIII motherboard and it still runs great. I don't have a CD burner on it though.

On a Pentium 4 it is probably best to use one with an Intel Chipset and DDR RAM. I tend to use all Asus Motherboards myself. I haven't built a P4 System Yet. I have been waiting to see if they will use a larger L2 cache on the Celeron CPU's.

I might build one if I get a good tax rebate. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I just ordered a Powerleap Slot-1 to FC-PGA2 adaptor ($39). I'm going to try the new Tualatin Celeron 1.4Ghz chip ($62) in this old box.

I found that the Tualatin 1.4Ghz chip has 256K L2 cache and seems to OC to 1.7Ghz. If I get 14 * 110Mhz (1540Mhz) I'll be happy. Most benchmarks I have found show the Tualatin Celeron beating the newer/higher mhz P4 Celerons (128K L2 cache). x::0:0::::

"On a Pentium 4 it is probably best to use one with an Intel Chipset"
If I'm not mistaken Intel doesn't license their chipsets. So whether you get an Asus mobo or an MSI for the P4 it will be the Intel chipset. Of course the chipsets still come in different flavors just one producer. That kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth & a lighter wallet.
I've never had a problem with Via chipsets for AMDs but I detest SiS.
Hmm, look at this:
Celeron 1.4GHz FC-PGA2 $62
Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz) $53
No contest the AMD is a better deal and will perform much better. I will concede to the cutting edge P4s though but I'll have to sell a kidney to get one.

The Tualatin Celeron 1.4Ghz is not a P4, its a P3 built on a .13 die. Its much faster than a P4 at equal (or greater) mhz.

I'm only getting the Tualatin Celeron 1.4Ghz (256K L2) as a cheap upgrade to my old Coppermine P3 667. It benchmarks about the same as an overclocked P4 Celeron at 2.26Ghz.

But I agree, if I wanted to buy a new mobo, new ram and a new cpu the Athlon would be a better choice "on the cheap". x::0:0::::

An Athlon XP nowadays is an extremely cheaper alternative than any intel and much faster. The reason for the price is the actual clock speed. An Athlon XP 1800+ is really only about 1533mhz but its name comes from the speed required by it's intel counterparts to equal it's performance. So therefore, an Athlon of the same clock speed would be much faster, but more expensive. Celeron processors are what they are made as: Budget. You don't get near what you get with a P4 or Athlon, but if you're not a power user, it won't concern you. What you really need to do is think what you need to use the PC for and makeyour decisions accordingly.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back