Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P4 1.8GHz???

Status
Not open for further replies.

basweek

Technical User
May 2, 2001
US
Has anyone noticed that Gateway is selling a desktop running a 1.8GHz P4? I believe that Intel only makes a 1.7GHZ processor. Is Intel allowing Gateway to overclock its processor for marketing reasons?

Nevermind!!!! I found the a reference to the 1.8 on Intel's web site.

yea due to increasing pressure from AMD, intel have been lowering prices & introducing faster chips more quickly than they usually would...

this is why their year's profits were down by $2bn this year(!)

We should expect to see a 2Ghz Athlon or P4 quite soon...

...of course the Athlon is faster no matter what speed Intel goes....
Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

"I am bad at math because God forgot to include math.h into my programming!"

Please let us (Tek-Tips members) know if the solutions I provide are helpful to you. Not only do my posts help you but they may help others.

the funny thing I found about Intel is most the time they advertized the 400Mhtz FSB of a P4 when it's really a Quad Piped 100Mhtz FSB.

In any case, I heard we should have P4 2Ghtz by the end of the 3rd Quarter.

the only real improvement I've seen from past designs was to increase the memory bandwidth. Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

I have a P4 at work and an T-bird 1.2 at home. It seams to me that even though my work PC the processor i sfaster and has more RAM the T-Bird outperforms it.

Just interesting to note.

I benchmarked three PC's with 3DMark2001. Here are the results:

AMD Athlon 750MHz Socket A
ABIT KA7-100 Motherboard
256MB Corsair PC-133 RAM
VisionTEK GeForce3 64MB DDR RAM
(2) Maxtor 60GB ATA-100 HD

3278 Marks in 1024x768x32M
2052 Marks in 1024x768x32M 4X Anti-Aliasing

Intel Pentium II 350MHz
ACER AXBC6 Motherboard
256MB Memory-Man PC-100 RAM
Hercules GeForce2 GTS 64MB DDR RAM
Western Digital 8GB ATA-33 HD

1095 Marks in 1024x768x32M

A friends PC:
Intel Pentium4 1.2GHz
Dell's Motherboard
256MB RAMBUS RAM
GeForce2 MX 32MB DDR
Not Sure on HD

3252 Marks in 1024x768x32M

Pretty sad for Intel, my friend with a 1.4GHz AMD gets like 5800 Marks in the same resolution.

I personally think that if the machine is about a year old, your better off getting more RAM than constantly updating the CPU. A few 100Mhz is hardly anything nowadays. Maybe 5 years ago when the PI were about! Steve Hewitt
IT Administrator

Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified System Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back