Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

p3 1.1ghz? or p3 1.13ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemkepf

Technical User
Oct 8, 2002
US
I have an old Compaq 5080us with an 800mhz celeron inside. I'm looking to upgrade the ram and the CPU for my wife to use. I talked to compaq about the PC and they told me that the motherboard could take up to a p3 1100mhz cpu... problem, where can i find an 1100mhz cpu? Do you think they mean 1130mhz? The only reason i ask is because there is a 30 dollar price difference between the 2.

What do you think? go for the cheaper 1.13 and hope it works? or play it safe and pay more for the 1ghz?
Or is it not even worth the 300mhz?

Thanks for all the help!
Paul

A PIII would give a notable difference verses a Celeron, regardless of mhz. The difference from 800mhz Celeron to Pent III would be worth it if you are sticking w/the same computer for sure. How much are the processors of question going to cost? If it's not a really cheap deal, you have to consider if it's worth using that at all, or if would be worth just to buy a new lowend system, or build a new one.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

I take it that your Motherboard has a 100Mhz FSB limit?

If this is the case, you will need a PIII with 100FSB NOT 133FSB.

Generally, the more sought after or top-end(of it's range) the higher the prices. The cheaper CPU is likely to be 133FSB.

Andy.

That's what i figured between the celeron and p3.
What about the 1100mhz they told me to get? Do you think they mean a 1130mhz cpu?
Thanks again!!
Paul

From what i gather from here about that compaq mother board it does support FSB 133mhz.

Here are some prices for a 1.13 with 133mhz fsb:

and some for 1ghz 100mhz fsb:

I'm still leary about ordernig a 1.13. The support guys say it supports up to 1.1. Maybe i'll go ahead and order a 1.13 and pray that it works in the motherboard. If not, i'll just return it and get a 1ghz? What does everyone think about that plan?
Thanks again for all your help!
Paul

Depends upon price. Also, if you get from pricewatch, make sure you don't just go with cheapest vendor. I've been burnt a couple times there, and know others who have had the same experience. Many of the vendors are okay, some excellent, but I would search for info on the vendor before buying from them. Typically, , , and are pretty good to deal with. I personally prefer the 1st 2. Multiwave direct has proved the best customer service in my experience, and their prices are usually about the same as newegg, sometimes one better than the other.

Stephen [infinity]

The 1.13 should give you a noticeable boost for $34, don't forget to get a decent heatsink/fan!

Another boost to system performance would be a 7,200rpm hard drive - 80GB should fit! Few more bucks though!

Andy.

Paul, if the usage is mainly for documsnts, email, and internet, then the diff betw 1.1 and 1.13 is likely to be very very small, if noticeable at all. As long as the fsb is the same for the 1.1 and 1.13, you probably won't tell the difference. If you went from say 1.1 to 1.5 or so, maybe, but still it depends upon the applications used for. For ideal performance, just make sure you have at least 512 mb ram if possible (or whatever your max is if it is less than 512), and definitely a 7200rpm hard drive. If you currently have a 5400rpm hard drive, the up from that to 7200 would be bigger diff than in the processors (diff p3's) you mentioned. For example, for many applications, I didn't see much diff between a 500mhz athlon and a 900mhz athlon, though diff architectures. Only saw diff in memory intensive programs.

Stephen [infinity]

"is it not even worth the 300mhz?"
Actually, you're only talking an extra 130MHz - 1130MHz vs 1000MHz.

The main question is about what Paul's motherboard supports. There are three different types of processors around this speed range for a Pentium III - Slot, FC-PGA, and FC-PGA2. You have to be careful which one you buy.

From what I could find at Compaq's website, it only states the FSB at 100MHz. It doesn't say much else, check it out:

If your motherboard only supports a 100MHz Frontside Bus, then I strongly suspect that you have a slot processor and not a socket 370. Open it up to find out. If it is slot, then the fastest one available is the 1GHz version. If it's socket, I'm pretty sure it's FC-PGA1 which goes up to 1GHz. The FC-PGA2 version didn't start until 1.13GHz, but you've got an 800MHz Celeron which is a pretty good indicator of FC-PGA1. Assuming I'm right, then 1GHz is going to be the fastest you can get.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I went on ebuyer to find any PIIIs, they only have 2 unfortunately, 1.26GHz and 1.4GHz....but they were more expensive than the AMD AthlonXP 3200+!?

AMD AthlonXP 3200+ = £95 (Without VAT)
Intel PIII 1.4GHz = £125 (Without VAT)

Wow...you can really see the difference in value of the two companies! lol...

The higher price of 'older' CPUs mereley reflects the fact that they are no longer manufactured and therefore becoming rarer. A fairer comparison would be between a Slot A CPU and a PIII.

Andy.

True. Older CPU's cost more. You just have to decide if you want to spend the money for new motherboard and memory for a new processor, and if so, possibly better cooling than currently have. So, if you spend $125 on a new processor, though not the same performance, it'd be less than spending at least $200-300 on new processor, mobo, and ram. Not to mention if your mobo requires a vid card, and you have to buy a new one of those as well (depending upon what you currently have, of course. And with a prebuilt system, you'll have more headaches involved if you use the same case, and the power supply could be a little light for your new components, thus you'd end up spending another $100+ if you get decent parts. In the end, you could easily be spending $500+ as compared to just buying a new processor at $125. It just depends upon how important any performance differences are to you, and how much money you want to spend. [SMILE]

Stephen [infinity]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back