Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P2P T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanone

Technical User
Oct 15, 2001
US
Hello,
I am new to Router and P2P. The office is currently using full P2P T1 connecting 2 offices using cisco 1600. The contract T1 is end soon. The office has signed a new contract with different carrier for a new full T1 P2P. The new line has been installed and tested. I have to switch the current P2P T1 with the new one soon using the same routers and configuration files. Here is the config

iterface ethernet0
ip address 10.10.2.2 255.255.255.0
no ip unreachables
no ip route-cache

interface serial0
ip innumbered Ethernet0
no ip unreachables
encapsulation ppp
no ip route-cache
service-module 56k clock source line
service-module 56k network-tyep dds

interface serial1
description office A to Building B
ip unnumbered Ethernet0
no ip unreachables
encapsulation ppp
no ip route-cache
service-module T1 timeslots 13-24

router eigrp 1
redistribute static
network 10.0.0.0
no auto-summary

no ip classeless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.2.1
ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 10.10.2.1
no logging console

end

What is the difference between service-module T1 timeslots 1-24 and 13-24? Since P2P T1 is just a line between 2 ends, switching the current T1 with new P2P T1 is just like unplug current and plug in the new line on two end. Am I correct? Or is there any thing esle that I need to concern or change before plug in the new line? Please give me some advice.
Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the time-slot command is only using half of the full t1. It's telling the CSU to only use 12 of the 24 available channels.

From the way it sounds, yes all you should have to do is move the cables around and it should all come right up.

It is only using 13-24. I would change to 1-24 on each router if you know you are paying for a full T1.

Hi,
It is getting worst. I removed service-module t1 timeslots 13-24 from serial1. I have 2 routers 1721 on each end pluggged to P2P T1, and status is down and line protocol is also down. Carrier won't help because they said their end is OK. below is show int.

Serial0 is down, line protocol is down
Hardware is PQUICC with Fractional T1 CSU/DSU
Description: T1 from Stockton to Santa Clara
Interface is unnumbered. Using address of FastEthernet0 (10.10.2.2)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
LCP Closed
Closed: IPCP, CDPCP
Last input never, output never, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:01:29
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 n
Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
0 carrier transitions
DCD=down DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=down

Serial1 is down, line protocol is down
Hardware is PQUICC with Fractional T1 CSU/DSU
Interface is unnumbered. Using address of FastEthernet0 (10.10.2.2)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
LCP Closed
Closed: IPCP, CDPCP
Last input never, output never, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:01:35
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
0 carrier transitions
DCD=down DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=down

P2P T1 is plugged into serial1. I noticed from the status of serial1 says "Hardware is PQUICC with Fractional T1 CSU/DSU" while I know for sure the P2P T1 is full T1. I don't know whether this cause the problem. Also, DCD=down, CTS=Down, I don't know what that means. Please help, urgent.
Thanks

What happens if you put the timeslots back in? Or put it back in with 1-24?

Do you have a T1 loopback plug?

Hi,
I put back service-module t1 timeslot 1-24 and clockrate 65000, what i got is line up and down constantly. see below
I don't have loopback plug. what else should i modify?

00:07:54: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1, changed state to up
00:08:01: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1, changed state to down

take out the clock rate. you might also want to try resetting the timeslots to 13-24 just to see if you can keep the interface up

Hello,
It turns out that the curcuit may have some issue. The carrier finally agree to take a look at this. I am waiting for the update from carrier now.
Thanks

Hi, I took out the clock rate, timeslots, replace the router, created brand new config, changed WIC, and still didn't get the light on WIC on and status on still down for both status and line protocol. Carrier created the loop for Side A only in order to test. Status still down. That is all carrier could do. No help. Carrier says they can dispath tech to test the loop but there will be $300.00 charge. Do you guys thing it is a circuit? or anything that I forgot to do, please advice.
Thanks

Put the timeslots back in try both at 13-24 and 1-24. You can do a google search for a t1 loopback plug and make one quick yourself. When I've worked with my carriers here, if I have a loopback plug they will work with me to test with a hard loop.

If you have an rj45 inline coupler, I would start with putting the loopback in your csu and make certain it comes up there..then I'd use the inline coupler and put it at the end of your demarc extension cable to test all the way through there.

If you get really really desperate, you can take the 2 routers, make a t1 crossover cable and make certain you can bring them up together that way.

At this point, I might be tempted to move everything back to your original config and the original circuit if possible, and make certain everything is still working there. Then just move the cables over and see what happens.

How do i reset the time (clock) on CS-Mars v4.2 I have had a look in admin but dont see how to do it. The date is ok.

Does the carrier have a ppp authentication/negotiation setup, like with CHAP or PAP?

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back