Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

p2p program transfers slow if at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

estesflyer

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
For some odd reason, any p2p file sharing program I try, never transfers as fast as it should be. It will transfer for a little bit, then stop, search for more sources, transfer a little bit, stop... And when it DOES transfer, it goes at about 1 k a second if that! I have 56k dialup, and im able to surf the web and play games w/out any problems. I never had any problems w/ audio galaxy, but all the other clients are giving me hell!!!

Please help if you can

TIA

- Rusty

P2P on a 56k connection is like travelling from NY to LA on a donkey.
The fastest P2P connections are the ones that spread the download over several available files and even then you will be lucky to get much over 2k/s if at all Take control of your life, not someone else's

Yes but i used to be able to download on napster and morpheus without any problems at all!

Just wondering what happened... - Rusty

Having a download speed of 1k/s on your 56k modem is nothing to worry about, the nature of P2P is that you are sharing files with other users. There are many factors which decide on the speed of your download, what connection the other user has, how many files they are uploading/downloading, how many files you are uploading/downloading, amount of users on the internet, etc etc I would imagine that the max speed you get for downloads on the 56k modem is about 6k/s if you had perfect conditions for downloading. There is no guarantee that you will get any decent download speeds from P2P

I have a DSL line and currently I am downloading a file at 1.27k/s yet tomorrow I could be downloading the same file at 60k/s its all down to luck. Nothing really that you can do except hope you get lucky with the files you want.

Naiku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back