Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P2P new pc cant see other pcs in workgroup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTMan

Technical User
Jan 23, 2004
GB
Hi I have just installed a new pc xp pro, in a small workgroup. When i browse the network on the new pc it sees the workgroup but it only appears to see itself in this workgroup. I installed netbeui in the mistaken beleif that htis woould resolve it. Most of the other pc are 95 machines and i am trying to map drives etc. is there something that i am missing. static ip address. i have done this before and it has worked, to me there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what it can see.
does anyone have any thoughts.
thanks in advance

Netbui should not be needed, although at times it is necessary. If with Netbui installed you see only yourself, there is something silly and fundamental wrong with name resolution.

. All clients: Client for Microsoft Networking, File and Printer Sharing, installed;
. Under TCP/IP properties, Advanced, WINS tab, disable LMHOSTS, enable 'Netbios over TCP/IP'
. Firewall, particularly the native XP ICF firewall, disabled.
. Something: drive, folder, printer; something share on all devices;
. No blank or empty passwords used anywhere on any machine.
. Computer A has as local users the username and passwords of Computer B. Computer B has as local usernames and passwords all the members of Computer A. etc. and so forth for every Work group member.
. Identical workgroup names, unique computer names, all machines.
. Under Windows Explore (not IE) Tools, Folder Options, View, uncheck near the bottom 'Use Simple File sharing -recommended'
. Enable on all XP machines the 'Guest' account. you can change this later if you like.

See Steve Winograd's Checklist:

bcastner, thanks, one or two things i didnt know there. cheers
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back