Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P2P NETWORK PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

w7zr

Technical User
Jul 15, 2001
I have access to both systems on the P2P network.

One system is running w2k pro and the other win98.

This is a P2P hookup. The remaining problem is that on the Win98 machine when I go to explorer and expand the network folder it takes 4.5 minutes to display the computers on the network. On the Win2000Pro system it takes about 30 seconds.

On the Win 98 system the Network properties are:
client for microsoft network
dial up adapter
realtek nic
ipx-dial up
ipx-realtek
netbios for ipx
tcp/ip for dial up
tcp/ip for realtek
file and printer sharing for microsoft networks

Primary logon is the windows logon
File sharing is checked
Network identifications are correct
Using share level access control

For some additional information please see my post of 1/17 "SMALL NETWORK PROBLEM"

???????????????

Try this:

- change the Primary Network Logon to "Client for Microsoft Networks"
- go into the properties for the Client for MS Networks component and select Quick Logon
- Hit OK twice and go to the Identification tab
- make sure the workgroup for both networked pc's are identical
- Hit OK and reboot

You will be prompted for a network password the next time Windows 98 starts. Just leave the password field blank and hit OK. It shouldn't come back next time you reboot. Hope this improves the time it takes to pull up net 'hood...

whoops! correction from above:

- Hit OK twice and go to the Identification tab
X-)

Try removing one of the protocols on the WIN98 machine. Or try each protocol on it own.

Yeah, I agree. You don't need the IPX protocol entries unless you plan on working with a Novell network in the near future.

NICs same on both? Slight differences in timing can create this. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I did as "cdogg" suggested. Plus I removed IPX components.
(So the only real change was to change to "quick logon".

First- I was not asked for a pw on the 98 machine.

Second- No change in the time it took to display the folders under "Network" in explorer on the Win98 machine. It took 5 minutes to come up to "Entire Network" then I NEVER got rid of the hourglass when I clicked on "Entire Network" and now no access from the Win2k machine either. So I am going back to my previous settings

NICs are the same on both

Do you have a firewall running on one or both machines (which product)? Might be a source of conflict or resolution delay.

For each protocol, there is an advanced tab which allows you to 'Set this protocol to be the default protocol'. Might be worth checking if any are checked and/or whether both reflect the same default.

For TCP/IP configuration review, you might also run WINIPCFG (ipconfig on W2K) on both machines sending output to a file. Right click on file selecting send to clipboard (or 'open with') and then compare results or paste results here for review, if you wish:

winipcfg /all /batch (creates a file WINIPCFG.OUT on desktop or do a file find on *.OUT)

SAMPLE OUTPUT:

Windows 98 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : ANTEC.wolf
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Compex RL2000 PCI Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-80-48-EB-78-17
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.111
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

2 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : EZ Connect USB to Dual Speed Ethernet Converter NDIS 5.0 Miniport Driver
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-E0-29-9E-29-39
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 10.38.150.21
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.240
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 10.38.150.17
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.11
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 01 23 02 9:00:34 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 02 20 02 9:00:38 AM

w7

Once your back to your previous settings, on your Win2K box map a network drive to your Win98 machine {right click My Network Places. . .) Do the vis versa on your Win98 machine (right click Network Neighborhood). I've found with mapped drives, (all other variables correct) your connection speed will increase 10 fold. Especially on a p2p network.

Just to confirm - you are using a proper X-Connect cable? May want to try another X-Connect just for kicks.

Make sure one NIC isn't set for auto-detect (Autosense on Win2K), and the other is set to a particular 802.X full duplex, 1/2 duplex, etc.... both should be autosense.

Have you manually added your TCP/IP addresses? If so, your on the same subnet? (ie c 255.255.255.0)

Good Luck.

W72R,

I forgot to mention that when you remove the IPX protocol, you have to uncheck it from the "bindings" tab which is located in the properties for the realtek nic. If you simply highlight the IPX protocol and click remove, I think it will pull out your Client for MS networks and TCP/IP protocol entries with it. Regardless, just make sure you still have all the other components in that list.

Also, did you make sure the workgroups were still identical?

if these systems are peer to peer you need to add the netbui protocol to make things "speed up" this is a definite requirement for P2P on the 98 side I did not add that to my little network similar to yours and I was frustrated at the time it took for anything to work plus most of the time it would not find the other machine!!

Yes, I second that! NetBEUI usually runs more efficiently than TCP/IP on a P2P network and may possibly speed up the net 'hood search...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back