Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

p12.bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahays

Vendor
Feb 22, 2005
US
I have an old IP Office 406 v2 with R3.0 software that the customer forgot the password to. So, I figured that I would simply default the box and start over. However, upon reboot nothing happens. The TFTP log repeatedly states "BOOTP request .. unable to process" and then "Unable to send C:\(path)\p12.bin"

Now, I've searched high and low but cannot find this file anywhere. A little help? Please? ;)

regs,

.al.

Thanks for the quick response. I already did the AT-X2, AT-X3 and AT-X things. That's what got me to where I am. Upon rebooting it is looking to the Manager program's internal TFTP server for the file p12.bin. Repeating the recovery procedures do not help. Anyone know where I can get a copy of this p12.bin file?

regs,

.al.

Are you sure it is the IP Office requesting this file?

I checkd my 3.0 folder, but no file named P12.bin available there..

Absolutely. The TFTP log shows the IP 406 V2 asking for it about every 6 minutes:

Thursday, December 24, 2015 3:50:19 PM : Received BOOTP request for 4494fc6fda41, 0.0.0.0:68, unable to process
Thursday, December 24, 2015 3:50:19 PM : TFTP: Unable to send C:\Program Files (x86)\Avaya\IP Office\Manager\p12.bin
Thursday, December 24, 2015 3:50:35 PM : Received BOOTP request for 4494fc6fda41, 0.0.0.0:68, unable to process
Thursday, December 24, 2015 3:50:36 PM : TFTP: Unable to send C:\Program Files (x86)\Avaya\IP Office\Manager\p12.bin
Thursday, December 24, 2015 3:51:12 PM : Received BOOTP request for 4494fc6fda41, 0.0.0.0:68, unable to process
Thursday, December 24, 2015 3:51:13 PM : TFTP: Unable to send C:\Program Files (x86)\Avaya\IP Office\Manager\p12.bin​

regs,

.al.

Avaya Certified Expert

Also, you are sure you pressed ESC on startup. Seems like the loader isn't started..

Don't bother about the chicken thing.

I tried it once, it doesn't work...

As far as I can see the P12 is the actual loader the IP is using.

Do you see the loader message in your terminal after pressing ESC?

So.
Navigate to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avaya\IP Office\Manager\" folder and rename "ip406v2.bin" to "p12.bin" and start over again.

Ist kaput! Copied ip406u.bin to p12.bin and tried again. No love. The TFTP log shows a BOOTP request from 192.168.42.1 and also shows a response ... about every 9 minutes. No more requests for p12.bin even after renaming it to p12.bak so the file must've gone. The system is stuck; all the DS port green lights are lit; all of the A/B/Trunk/EXP green lights are lit and the single ethernet LAN port that I'm plugged into lights as you would expect during normal operations. It's just hung (and not the good kind) ;)

regs,

.al.

Avaya Certified Expert

To bad the lights aren't blinking, because then you could have use it as a christmas tree.

Now only thing left, is the trash container..

Did you watch the serial output, can you post the screeens you see when booting up the unit.
I think it is not bricked but just bad handled, it is not a simple process to upgrade these old boxes. I have recoverd a lot of those "bricked" boxes send to us from various resellers, it is just a matter of doing the right steps and have all the prerequisites in place.

[ol 1]
[li]Step 1 : be sure to have manager 3.0 installed, working directory set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avaya\IP Office\Manager\" and BootP/TFTP enabled.[/li]
[li]Step 2 : Set the IP Address of your PC to the fixed Address 192.168.42.12/24[/li]
[li]Step 3 : connect the PC LAN to the IP Office LAN[/li]
[li]Step 4 : Download this[/li]
[li]Step 5 : Copy the file ip406u.bin from the folder "3_0\First stage" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avaya\IP Office\Manager\"[/li]
[li]Step 6 : run Manager and check there is a BootP record matching the MAC address of your "bricked" unit
if not create one and if there is one then this must be in it:
- Mac Address : the mac address of the unit XX.XX.XX.XX.XX.XX
- IP Address : 192.168.42.10
- filename : ip406u.bin[/li]
[li]Step 7 : Open in manager the TFTP log window and keep it visible[/li]
[li]Step 8 : Disable all firewalls/virus detectors between your PC and the IP Office[/li]
[li]Step 9 : attach a serial cable between the PC and the IP406 and run Putty, set the used COM port with the parameters : 38400,8,N,1[/li]
[li]Step 10 : perform the AT-X firmware erasure sequence
keep an eye on the TFTP log window, at a certain stage you must see that the file ip406u.bin is send to the unit.
If not then it is the end of the story, use it as a step-up in the kitchen.
If it loads the file wait until the unit is completely booted, in putty you must see a message with the phrase "TA started"
then the reboot process is finished.[/li]
[li]Step 11 : copy the file "ip406u.bin" from "3_0/Second stage" to the manager working directory, it will replace the old file.[/li]
[li]Step 12 : repeat step 10, when this stage is complete then you must have a working unit again.[/li]
[/ol]PS : the "ip406u.bin" file in the "3_0\First stage" folder is NOT a working firmware, it will only upgrade the bootloader! So you MUST complete all 10 steps to be succesfull and don't forget : DO NOT INTERRUPT THE PROCESS WHEN UPGRADING!

Good luck and have a [santa] merry christmas[santa2]

Thanks for that. I appreciate the effort on such an important holiday.

One question before I get started ... I do not have 3.0 but I do have 3.2(59). Will that work?

regs,

.al.

Avaya Certified Expert

just looked at the MAC address requesting this and it is a Netgear device not the IPO so you can disregard it

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back