Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P.SQL 2000i Slow Application open 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPM

Technical User
Oct 18, 2002
US
I have a data that was being accessed using a local btrive engines (the data is located on Win98). We have moved the data to a W2000 server with the P.SQL2000i Client server setup. Now when you click on the application it can take 1-2.5 minutes to open. Once in it seems to function fine. But opening takes extremely long time. The network has been tested and there are no problems. Anyone have any suggestions?

Are you accesing your data through SQL? or Transactional? It could be the configuration. We had a problem with PSQL7 where if the SQL service wasn't running (before we had any need to use it) there would be a timeout delay if we tried to use pervasive monitor or something like that....

I'm accessing my data through btrive. I am not using SQL or transactional. We have tried multiple configurations with no change in application launch.

Remove the SAT entried in the registry. Search the Pervasive KB ( more information about SAT entries. info@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

I'm using accpac32 with Transactional data access with the same type of problem. (Windows 2000 Server Sp3 and 20 Xp Pro Workstation with Pervasive 2000i)

Some computer have 2 SAT entry in the registry, I don't know why, I'm using only on network card, and only 1 pervasive server ??

Must I will remove all SAT entry ? ( it will automatiquely recreate after reboot ?)

I suppose, I must do this on each wotkstation and server ?

Thank you

If you have multiple SAT entries pointing to the same server, that might explain the slowness. Yes, you would need to remove all of the SAT entries and set the "NumSatEntries" setting to 0 (zero). Make sure that all Btrieve/Pervasive applications have been closed. You will only need to do this on the client workstations that are slow. Although, doing it on all workstations will not hurt anything. They will be recreated once the application starts again. info@mirtheil.com

I have deleted the SAT entries and set the SAT entries to 0. Still opening the application takes way too long. If I simply replace the Windows 2000 server with a WIN98 machine using local engines with the application and data on the win98 machine, it goes way faster. Like more than double the speed to open the application.

What happens if you use the Btrieve Function Executor? Does it take a long time to open the files there? If so, call Pervasive and open a support incident..
info@mirtheil.com

Same thing for me, I have deleted the SAT entries and set the SAT entries to 0. Still opening the application takes way too long

I'm not an expert with the btrieve function executor, what kind of function can be done in btrieve. I'm able to open database fast...

It's Since I have change de default parameter in pervasive engine, the system is slowest ! I have no choice, it's the minimum setting to my application work proprely.

Files Max 160 Peak 150
Handles Max 1350 Peak 1290
Clients Max 240 Peak 220
Worker Threads Max 1024 Peak 3
Licence Max 20 Peak 16
Transactions Max Unlimited Peak 2
Locks Max Unlimited Peak 6

Total Remote Session Max 120 Peak 67
Communication Threads Max 3 Peak 3

What do you thing about that ?

IF you can us the Function Executor to Open a file and it's fast, then the next question is what's happening in the application during startup? Does it just open the file, does it open multiple files, does it read a bunch of records or does it do something application or display specific?
In terms of your settings, I would suggest dropping the Worker Threads. You're only using a max of 3. Maybe drop it to 10.
info@mirtheil.com

The Worker Threads is the only one I can't change, in the registry
Hkey_Local_machine\Software\Pervasive\Microkernel Server Engine\version 7\Settings
workers Threads is set to 1 (Probably 1 egal 1024)

I don't know is since I change this parameter, them my system is slower ? (I monitor the server and it's seem to be idle)

Thank you for your professionnel help !!

Hello,

Has anyone solved this problem ?
I have the same problem. We moved from Win98 workstations to WinXP workstations (using a Novell server). Now opening the database connection (with Visual Basic/ODBC) takes about 15 seconds in Windows XP.

Thanks in advance,
David.

I just noticed it takes 7 seconds to open the connection. I'm opening 2 connections, so that makes about 15 seconds.

I'm, executing this line of code:
dim Conn As ADODB.Connection
Conn.Open "DSN=DATAFS1"

If i open the tables through MsAccess by linking the tables, it also takes about 7 secons to connect.

Once connected everything is fast.

Hello,

you were right about the communication probems. We only use the SPX protocol on the Netware Server, thus also for Pervasive.

After I installed TCP/IP on the Server, and changed the Pervasive Server & Client protocol from SPX to TCP/IP opening the connection was fast again!!

We didn't have any problems with Windows 95/98 & SPX though, only with Windows XP.

Thanks!

For Novell/XP users:

On our Pervasive 2000i (sp4) system using TCP/IP exclusively on client (running 4.83 sp1) and server (Netware 6), some client machines are very very slow while others are quite fast during file opens. All perform fast once files are open.

On the slow machines, replacing the Novell client with the MS client for Novell improved the file opens dramatically.

For example, a slow machine taking ~30 sec to start an application with the Novell client now takes about ~4 sec.

I had a problem with Maximizer 7 and Pervasive 2000i workgroup. Narrowed it down to the problem being Pervasive. Maximizer would lockup as soon as it started, and the Pervasive control centre also failed to open.
After removing the SAT entries from the registry this solved the problem (thanks mirtheil).
I'm guessing that for some reason the connection would time out using the cached settings from the SAT entries.

Note that the problem has only occured a few times, with no specific cause, and only on machines running Windows XP.

Also for Novell & XP users:

The 4.9 client (with or without sp1) has some important files missing which effect the IPX/SPX protocol. This may be a cause for alot of slow down for people if you are using this client and that protocol. There is an update from Novell, search for vipx in their knowledgebase.
As far as I know its only the 4.9 client, but solved alot of issues for me.

Hope this helps people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back