Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Own Business vs. Get a Job, what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHAX

Vendor
Sep 5, 2003
US
Alright, Im putting this out there to you people because I, and people around me are to close to me to offer unbiased advice.

I'm a single 26 years old a small business owner in Columbus, OH, I've had my company for just over a year now and have remained afloat. I work in telecommunications, sales/service/installation of business telephone systems.

I've had some hungry times during the past year, but as of recently I've been getting more regular business. Still meager, but business nonetheless.

So just recently I am contacted by a headhunter, I go through the interview and now they have offered me a position. No big salary just $38k yr.

I really enjoy the freedom of self-employment but being broke sucks. And I am tempted to throw in the towel on my business just as I'm starting to get some regular clients.

Short term, I know that I'll enjoy having money and just having to do installations and calls. However, on the long term I am worried that I will fell unfulfilled in a couple years and yearn for what could have been.

What should I do? And why am I asking a forum? hehe It's a rock and a hard place? Which is better?

Thanks!

Sorry after reading it again,

"men have a greater burden in working"

Shows me I was wrong. It was a foot in the mouth comment.

Thats what I get for skimming instead of reading the whole thing.

AJ
[americanflag]

If at first you do not succeed, cheat!

Actually I know personally 3 couples that the wife has a & better job & pay than their husband.

Wife: high level HR manger, postal worker
Wife: Lawyer, ski instructor
Wife: lawyer, store manager

The one thing that all 6 love, is that they LOVE their respective jobs, and that total they bring in a decent enough money to support their families.

So if Blax brings in enough money for HIM, then it is fine. I would rather do a job that I loved (and less money) versus a job that sucks for more money. Of course if the job I loved pais $10,000 per year & the sucky job paid $350,000...all bets would be off.

Have a good weekend
BR

BHAX:

I am glad to read you go fot it! Wish you all the best!
Haven't got the nerve to do the same yet (30, single, female, completely fed up with company but... bought a house that kind of keeps me where I am right now...), anyway, enjoy reading others *are* doing it! Am sure that you and your family will feel good about it at the end...because at least you tried! Go for it!

Gatorajc,

I live in the Chicago boonies, but we bought the house 11 years ago, new construction. Back then it only costs us only $153,000.00. Now the house sells for around $290,000.00. And four bedrooms identical to mine in other parts of town go for well over $300,000.00. I would hate to be young these days and in need of a house. Downsizing is tempting with that profit, but the kids are still in the house. Need to throw them out first. (Just kidding!)

The funniest part about this topic was that unixtechie picked a grocery stocker as an example. I laughed my head off about that one. My husband even thought it was funny.

Seriously though, when a person decides to have his/her own business, at some point that person must evaluate if he or she can support a family on the income that's coming in. For example, insurance costs are very expensive and a family needs good insurance. I know someone who is self-employed, can't afford a good health insurance policy right now, and just found out one of their kids has leukemia. It will eventually wipe them out financially. Once you have a family, your responsibility greatly changes. The family's health and welfare must come first and foremost.

I guess the housing market is way overblown in other areas not just S FLA. I bought my first house just before they started going up in my area. I wanted to wait at the time but my wife didnt. Glad she won out because it would be tuff now getting the downpayment the way prices are.

Anyway BHAX good choice. At least you tried and you will never have to look back with regret. The corporate world will be there later on if you need it.

AJ
[americanflag]

If at first you do not succeed, cheat!

BHAX, I'm glad you decided to stick with it. It gives me some hope! I'm in a similar, but somewhat backwards situation. I am not salaried but work 40 hours/wk. as a chargeback rep turned Access DBA, and make pretty lousy wages ($12/hr). Right now I am on the verge of giving this job up and starting my own business with an economics major/ASp/Access developer I recently met. I do a fair bit of contracting/freelance work locally, and I'm struggling with the decision of giving up the regular paycheck and taking my chances with the business. I'm lucky in that I'm not married, have no kids, I'm 24, and have no huge bills aside from auto. My girlfriend won't be my wife for sometime now and she is very supportive.

But the business thing will be an immense responsibility. It's a tough decision to be making.

Most of the above comments are very practical and wise. As others have said, you're still young, you can afford to take risks. If all else fails you can get a corporate job and steady salary. Yo've already tasted the joy of getting regular business and the growth from your hard work. Nothing can be rewarding as that.

Best of luck to you. I think you've already made up your own mind, in yoru heart.

Jono

Another poswsibility.

Can you bring in a partner? The line seems to be straight hardware selling and installation. Or train up a committed (to you) junior? That way you will progress from being a single person to a "mom and pop" shop at least. In addition, you will have more free time and can then think of jobs.

End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back