Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA SETUP PROBLEMS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel101

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
GB
I am having trouble configuring the tcp/ip ports to get OWA working through our firewall. Does anyone have have any information on setting the ports up? I found some info on Tech Net but it wasn't that helpful.

Also looking at OWA client I notice that you can't call up the global address book although you can do finds etc. on the address list. Is there an add on or something that will allow users to call up the address book?

Thanks

Daniel Broom [sig][/sig]

How are your Exchange server, IIS server and Firewall positioned (in relation to each other)? If you have both the Exchange and IIS servers (or Exchange/IIS on a single box) behind the firewall, you only have to open http on port 80 (probably already done). If your IIS server is outside your firewall, but the Exchange server is behind it, things get ugly. It also changes in complexity based upon the level of authentication you're using...

Give us a little more info and I'm sure someone can help...

I do not believe that there is a way to pull up the full address list, but I've only been playing with OWA for a couple weeks...

Good luck,
Dave [sig][/sig]

You will need to open ports 25 and 100 possibly? These should be open to allow mail in and out. [sig]<p>Zel<br><a href=mailto:zel@zelandakh.co.uk>zel@zelandakh.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Hi Daniel
I am having same problem. Right
now we cannot access OWA from
Internet? OWA appears to have
been set up right, and i have read
everything i can find from TechRepublic,
MS, and more.
I am new @ this, so please share
w/ me anything that might be helpful.
Thank You !
samela [sig][/sig]

Had the same problem recently. IIS/OWA uses HTTP 1.1 persistent connections and our firewall didn't support that. A new version solved it. Only port 80 opened.

We're still having problems with some remote ISP's who force their customers through non-1.1 caches / proxies, but that's not easy to solve. IE4 (especially) needs to have the 'Advanced->Use HTTP 1.1 through proxies' option enabled.

Above scenario applies to boxes that have IIS and Exchange running on the same physical machine, and accessed from outside only with a browser. If you have IIS on a different box than Exchange, and in a DMZ with a firewall between the two, you'll also need to have at least the NetBios Session ports open (for authentication) and port 389 (for LDAP lookups to the Exchange address book) Might be more, (maybe RPC too - can't recall). Been some time since I've done it this way.

Opening 389 will also solve the problem with the Windows Address Book not being able to look up addresses. It also uses LDAP.

To access the Exchange box directly with Outlook, you'll need to open the POP3(110) and SMTP(25) or IMAP(143) ports, depending on how your users access your machine and which protocols you have configured on Exchange.

make sure you have the user set with the log on locally right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back