Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA not working on LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreddnews

Technical User
Nov 17, 2002
US
I figured it was a problem with DNS where my workstations on my LAN are not able to bring up the Outlook Web access page, while anywhere off site when I try to access it, it works fine. What might through this off? My DNS setup is my Exchange Server as DNS server and also using my RR DNS entries. Any ideas?

First, what are your users entering in their browser to access the Exchange server? Second, what error/response are the users getting back?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

If you access your email like so: exchange.domain.com/exchange (the /exchange may or may not be needed, depending on your setup), then you must add an (A) Host record with the name EXCHANGE pointing to your OWA server address.

What happens usually, when you ask your browser to go to exchange.domain.com, it will look it up in your DNS and not find it, since domain.com is the name of your DNS, it will NOT forward it to your provider since your DNS thinks it's the source of the DNS lookup for domain.com . By adding the record, it will route you to the proper server.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

They are entering the same address as they would off site. I use SSL for the OWA. As for the error, they page just doesn't load. No error is given just the normal page can not be displayed.

Try entering server ip"/exchange and see what happens.

Dredd,

Give us an example on how they access the OWA site from outside.

So is there a way so that it can do without the servername included in there? Is it a DNS issue where it is not pointing to the right thing? I'm only asking because the reason I need to use OWA locally is just to show my users so when they are offsite. If I show them with the server name, they will do it that way when they go offsite.

If you'll try it via the IP address, and it works, then that will tell us better if you have a DNS issue. Have you even tried that yet?

No I will try that this evening... I'm not there right now and I will post back tonight if it doesn't work. Thanks for the help everyone!

Dredd,

In order to minimize learning, you probably want them to use the same address in your LAN as we as outside the office.

I already explaine higher up how to do this, but I think I must of wrote it in a way that is confusing...

I'll try again:

If I understand well (which I may or may not), the people outside your office type to access OWA:

(ex:eek:wa.acme.com/exchange)

Inside your office, if they type:

you get "Page Not Found."

This is normal. You must tell your DNS that when people ask for name.domain.com that it points to your Exchange Server. To do so, add a HOST (A) record to your DNS domain (domain.com) stating that name (from name.domain.com) is at IP xx.xx.xx.xx (your Exchange Server IP).

From there on, when peopel type your DNS wills end them to xx.xx.xx.xx/exchange (that you put in your DNS record) and your OWA will open internally using the SAME address as people use from outside. That way only one procedure has to be written up on how to access OWA to the users...

This sounds like it could be a firewall issue. See if you can use the local intranet ip address: ie 192.168.1.1/exchange. Many firewalls will not allow you to access the external(internet) ip address from inside the firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back