Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA not firing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakamon

MIS
Feb 4, 2002
US
Installed Exchange 2003 Std server and SP2 on fresh Win2K3 sp2 system.

Selected this will be used as FE server. I get no web pages served up when typing
Actually prompts for a login then spits out must use https error msg. Everything default install up to this point.

On same VLAN as BE servers, so TCP comms should not be an issue, unless something somewhere needs to be enabled on the BE servers to allow FE to talk to it.

Everything came up gracefully in Exchange System Manager... stuck where to begin troubleshooting

Only the dead fish follow the stream

I have tried:

and also have subsitute actual servername for localhost on the above 4 as well.

I do get prompted to for username and password (not forms based), however all attempts do not work and get directed to access denied.

The BE servers configured for web access originally and there may be some conflicting legacy setting stopping the OWA service from starting. There is something not hooking in correctly somewhere.

No redirect setup as of yet on OWA, no authentication methods changed. How can I test if server is communicating properly to the backend server and sending necessary requests?

Hi,

As we don't have much info on how you installed your FE server, I would suggest three things :

1) Try to stop and restart your Default WeB Site.

2) Try untick the option Require Secure Chanel on the properties of your virtual exchange folder. Then see if you can connect by typing a
3) To eliminate any misconfiguration between your FE and BE server, try to connect directly to your BE server by either using or
Good Luck

On 1 and 2, I have done both.
On 3. That works perfectly fine for hhtps. Http does not work.

Literally did a default install of OWA, nothing custom. Next next next reboot .. I think because the BE server was originally the OWA server (not configured as a front end though), that there is a setting on it that is giving me the grief.

Is there something there I would need to change?

on last 2 postings:

I cannot browse the site, but default.htm is there. Also I dont hae FBA checked, but do have a cert and SSL enabled.

I cannot seem to run any websites except localhost and that goes to under construction, so I believe IIS is working correctly. I changed no default perms.

Verify that under Default Web Site Properties, under Web site TCP Port 80 and SSL Port 443 are there. Also under Home Directory, verify that it is a redirection to a URL and the Redirect to is /Exchange and the client checked is "A directory below URL entered" Also, in the SSL cert make sure the Issued To: is the same name as the OWA you are trying to access. Also, turn on your Forms Based (under ESM, FE server/Protool/HTTP/ EVS Porperties and then settings) since you are configuring this for SSL. Once all is configured, if you can reboot, go for it. This will allow all the Exchange services to restart and let's see how you are then. Hope this helps.

Cliff, MCSE/MCSA/MCTS/CCNA/VCP/CCA

All of the above done ...nothing

What logs should I be looking at to see where this is breaking down? I am totally stuck...

RPC HTTP have anything to do with this...?

https does even seem to bring up an error msg.
Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

RE: "RPC HTTP have anything to do with this...? "

did you add this server to an existing single Exch back-end that was the RPC-HTTP back-end server? And now on this front end server you just built, have you specified it as the RPC-HTTP front-end server? And on the General tab of the new server properties, it is also selected as a front-end server?

Help Docs

Cliff, MCSE/MCSA/MCTS/CCNA/VCP/CCA

That is exactly the scenario. I have both of these checked off as well when I enabled SSL.

I went cover to cover in that doc ...

still no dice

Actually, I am now getting to the logon page .. which is a step in the correct direction.

redirects to:

but when I try to logon, it redirects back to:

with the page saying:
The page must be viewed over a secure channel
The page you are trying to access is secured with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Type https:// at the beginning of the address you are attempting to reach and press ENTER.
HTTP Error 403.4 - Forbidden: SSL is required to view this resource.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so close

Hi Shakamon

TechyMcSe2k is right ....

on your FE server, try to enable the forms based authentication on the SMTP virtual server .... you will have to configure SSL ....

Also stop and restart the IIS service ...

Hope this help !!!!

I am thinking I need to disable SSL on the BE server that was originally hosting OWA. To test, and put back, can I just untick enable SSSL and 12b bit encryption, or do I have to completely remove the certificate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back