Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA not connecting from outside the domain 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

max8699

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2006
AU
Hi, Just installed the Pain in the neck exchange server, Finally got it working. When i tried out OWA it works fine from inside the domain, ie a pc next to the server.
However if i try to log in from home it just can't find the server and times out. Any ideas??
Nedd basic help here not an exchange expert.
Regards
Max

Is your pain in the neck firewall allowing the HTTP traffic through ?

Yep The firewall is open on port 443 (i think will have to log in and have a look to be sure) to allow http traffic through.

You will need 80 open for HTTP,
If you are using HTTPS then 443 is good

Are there any external A records provided by your ISP pointing to your exchange server with a public IP?

You don't need port 80. In fact, you shouldn't use it. Forward 443 through the firewall. Enable SSL and Forms Based Authentication.

Create an A record that points to your public IP address. Something like office.domain.com.

Test using
Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

ok,
have opened port 443 and i can now get into to read mail with OWA from outside the domain using but it now comes up and asks about a certificate with a warning that it may not be a correct certificate. If you click on yes and continue it comes up with the login page. Type in the name and password and your are in and reading the mail.
I take it now i need to set up a certificate?
How do i go about doing that?
Regards
Max

First, you would have already setup a Cert if your using SSL. But, it sounds to me that your Cert CN doesn't match up.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

OK,
for those that came in late and sat in the back of the class.:) how would one go about checking the "cert CN" for matching?

Thanks for all the help so far guys
Regards
Max

What is the Common Name associated with your current cert? If you open the cert (ie: look at the details), you should be able to read the common name. Does it match the published A record for the OWA site?

Check this out. Super easy, detailed instructions on how to secure your OWA implementation.

58sniper also posted a good tutorial on this.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back