Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA logon keeps showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabularasa

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
US
I am running OWA with Exchange 2000. I have set up Inetgrated Windows Authentication so the users technically should not have to enter a user name and password to get into OWA.

The Authentication screen shows up everytime when i try to access OWA. I have configured it via MS KB 300656.

I need OWA to open without asking for credentials. Any suggestions?

I have a staff web portal that people log into to get info from everyday, and the authenticate buy inserting username and password the have a cgi that passes the username and password to OWA when they want to access thier mail... Not sure is this is useful to you unless they access a web page with security on it that would authenticate via the Windows server

Well, according to microsoft, it should just transer for Logged on Users credentials directly to OWA and log in.

It should be very simple.

Are you sure that that kb artical will work with Exchange 2000? it only lists exchange 5.5 as supported products... OWA on Exchange 5.5 is way way different that OWA 2000.

check this one out MS KB 287726 How to Configure Host Header and Authentication Information in Exchange 2000 Outlook Web Access on a Windows 2000 Cluster Server

I checkout out that article. I have to use IIS 5 to administer the Virtual Directory. I have set up most of those settings, but that doesnt seem to apply to me

The settings in the first KB account seem to be the right way to do it, but it doesnt work.

This setting must be changed via the Exchange System Manager opposed to Internet Services Mgr. The changes in the ESM overwrite the changes in the ISM.

1. Start Exchange System Manager. To do this, click Start, point to
Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click System Manager.

2. Expand Servers, expand <ServerName>, expand Protocols, expand HTTP,
and then expand Exchange Virtual Server.

3. Under Exchange Virtual Server, right-click the Exchange virtual
directory, and then click Properties.

4. Click the Access tab, and then click Authentication.

5. Click to select the &quot;Integrated Windows Authentication&quot; check box, if it is not
already selected.

Wait for changes to replicate to ISM or manually set this here as well. You may need to restart your default web site.

This will only work if your users are logged into the domain. If they are at a kiosk and have not logged into the domain, this will not work and they will receive a 3 line prompt for username, domain and password

Hope this helps

--
Melissa Travers, MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.

This posting is provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties, and confers no rights.

&quot;Integrated Windows Authentication&quot; is already checked. I have stopped and started IIS also. Also, this is just for the users who are logged into the domain.

Any other suggestions?

In IIS in the Exchange Virtual Directory under Directory Security i have the following settings.

&quot;Anonymous Access&quot; with &quot;IUSER_NEWSERVER&quot; as the username, and Allow IIS to control password checked.

Also checked is:

Digest Authentication for Windows Domain Servers

Integrated Windows Authentication

Im thinking its the Anonymous access settings, but im not sure.

I have had this (and another weird problem with OWA) that were DIRECTLY linked with bad installs of Office 2000.
Upon removal of Office 2000 the problems went away.

DO you get this problem on all clients or only some?

The other oddball problem I had is that if you do a Typical install of Office 2000, when replying to an email in OWA you are prompted to insert the Office 2000 CD (as certain Office 2000 components are now required...... odd...)

Let me know if this helped pls.

Ta

do you have MS ISA Server running? If so, try to disable it, try to access OWA.

F1lby,

This problem happens with ALL clients, not just one. :-( It also has never asked us to insert the Office CD.

Coolhva,

We do not have ISA server running.

:-(

Thanks for the replys though..

Any other thoughts?

Sorry, I didn't read the question fully.
You wish to open OWA without a login?
The login IS a requirement to choose which mailbox you connect to.
To use WIndows authentication with OWA doesn't seem to be a posibility. I have tried long & hard to do exactly what you are trying to do and dispense with logins for known trusted users who have already autenticated via Windows login..... but to no avail........

I have had this working before, but when we did some changes to the exchange server then it stopped working. Did you see the settings that i had written above?

I cant seem to find the answers on any other forum as well.

It just sucks that it worked before and doesnt work now. Im getting frustrated. :)

Thanks for all the input!

Hi there

I have seen this problem before, though it was related to ISA. I found that if I was trying to access OWA from a site that with ISA (i.e. ISA was between me and the internet and OWA was running on a non related site) then I kept getting the authentication box pop up.

I played around with it and on a site with a fresh ISA install it worked for a while but then just randomly stopped. I suspect it is something related to caching but I am no expert and I've been dragged off to do something else so as yet have not solved the issue.

Hope this helps?

antoni

I hate to keep on this, but the change is made via the Exchange System Mgr not the IIS mgr. You will get prompted for credentials if you are using Integrated Windows but are not authenticated by the domain.

For example this would have to be accessed internally. You would need to be inside your network or remotely connected via VPN and authenticated by the domain.

Then, once you are authenticated, you would need to access OWA via

for example

This will not work if you use the FQDN

For example

Does this help?

--
Melissa Travers, MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.

This posting is provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties, and confers no rights.

mtraversMSFT

Thanks for the info. The problem has been resolved. The problem was using the FQDN. Once i just used the servername/exchange, everything started working.

FYI, The changes for Windows authentication were made in IIS mgr. My setup was right, but accessing the server was done incorrectly. (Always something small, isnt it?) Some setups lock the Exchange Manager and make you make the changes in the IIS mgr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back