Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA is very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackcui

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2004
US
My bose complains the OWA is very slow when he is traveling. When he trys to send email, he always get frozen screen. He has to close the window and try again.

He is using AOL dial up. His computer OS is XP prof.

Our server is NT 4.0, PII500/512MB ROM. It is used as the file server, the mail server and the print server. It also handle some other job, like anti-virus etc. Is it too old to handle all these tasks?

The exchange server is 5.5

Any help is very appreciated!

Jack

OWA is naturally slow, accessing for AOL dial up is worse. Tell your boss that he needs to up your budget and get a real server or stop whining

I agree with Wadoki. My Exchange Server has twin 1 GHz P3 processors with 1 Gb of ram and Exchange OWA is still clunky. Mail management is terrible with OWA, so I run Outlook after logging into our network with a VPN connection. Its a little slow at first (I'm on a dial up connection) but offers full functions of Outlook. Otherwise you might try a Pop3 client like Outlook Express or Eudora Email to download emails from the exchange server.
I'd also try moving the file server and printer server to another machine and dedicate the mail server.

HTH,

Tony Lum
Systems Admin
Gigatronics/Ascor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back