Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA - IIS 4 on Exchange 5.5 SP3 / NT4 SP5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelter

Technical User
May 22, 2002
CH
Hi,

I'm having an error when I try to install OWA on an nt4 sp5 with Exchange 5.5 sp3 server

First: message from IIS 4 option Pack (this version was not tested with sp5 and up ?!?)

second: message saying I have an corrupted BackupExec turning. I don't have BackupExec on this server!?!
What I should do to install OWA ?

Thank you

The first message is normal, since NT Option Pack was made before SP5, so disregard it.

The second message includes a reference to a URL reference to a Microsoft KnowledgeBase article that says the server probably had a corrupted install of BackupExec. See if it is listed in Add/Remove Programs (if it is, uninstall it), and if not, then see if Veritas has a KnowledgeBase that tells how to remove corrupted installs of their product. If not, you may have to format and start over.

In regards to getting Exchange 5.5 installed (to include OWA), get the most recent version of NT4 installed (including SP6a) BEFORE installing NT Option Pack. Then get ALL the NT4 and IIS4 Security Patches downloaded, then take the server offline (remove the NIC Cable). Then install NT Option Pack, rerun SP6a and install the security patches. When you install NT Option Pack, it makes that server a 'virus/worm magnet' and I've seen several instances when it gets infected before the patches get installed. When IIS4 is up and running, then install Exchange 5.5 (custom install to make sure OWA is included), and then install Exchange 5.5 SP4 and the most recent security patches.

If you want to make the process alot easier, and you have Windows 2000 Server available, then install Win2k Server and SP4 first, then install Exchange 5.5 on there. Ex5.5 runs much better on Windows 2000!!

Hope this helps!

DDrew

>>> First: message from IIS 4 option Pack (this version was not tested with sp5 and up ?!?) <<<

That particular part of your question reflects a NORMAL characteristic of the Option Pack.

I can't address the BackupExec Error message. Except that if I am not mistaken, the NT 4 Windows Backup program is a stripped-down version of BackupExec and thus you could be seeing an error message that is telling only part of the actual story.

Exchange 5.5 SP 4 addresses some other thorny backup-related issues -- and adds new functionality and compatibility of the Windows Backup prorgram with Exchange. So maybe this problem will take care of itself once SP 4 is applied.

# # #

I strongly recommend you a) update NT 4 to SP 6a, and b) update Exchange to SP 4 before installing the Option Pack.

Once you finally get the OWA working, immediately reapply the NT 6a Service Pack.

Then, visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com and run all critical updates.

Then, after you'd completed all of that, install and run the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer on your server. You will likely find as many as a dozen or more security Exchange and IIS security patches and configuration tweaks that should be done.

Thank you,

finally after the Exchange SP4, everything works fine. I have bad stories about NT4 sp6 and old Compaq Proliant servers, that's why I hesitate to pass NT service Packs

Thank's again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back