Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA Forms Based Auth problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVKAdmin

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2001
CA
Hi,

I'm running a test environment running windows 2003 with exchange 2003 server. The server is installed properly as a Certificate Authority. I've gotten to the point of trying to to get OWA forms based authentication to work but am having problems.

Before I choose forms based auth with SSL, OWA worked on the local server as well as from a lan client and from a separate network client.

As soon as I turned it on, the external client and the local lan client stopped being able to access OWA. If I try to open it up on the server itself, it still allows me to log in.

Has anyone ever come across this ?

Thanks

Kevin.

Thanks for the links. I have looked at most of these before. None of them address the problem I'm having.

I need to know if anyone else has come across the issue I described ?

This was true if I tried logging in using domain\username, UPN or straight username and password.

Make sure you have port 443 open and that you are connecting to https.

You mentioned that before you enabled FBA, it was working. Was that through HTTP and HTTPS (SSL), or just one or the either?

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Hi,

The testing was done strictly on port 443 before and after. Opening ports doesn't matter because the local subnet client (in trusted network) also cannot access the outlook web access after forms based auth is turned on. One piece of other information, I'm using virutal PC. The host is the local subnet client (XP SP2) and the exchange/DC server is the VPC on that machine. They share a network adapter but both can communicate (host back and forth to VPC). The testing from outside worked with port 443 opened before applying forms based authentication.

One other piece of information, all Windows XP host machines are in a separate domain or workgroup (I don't know if this is a problem or not but defeats the purpose of getting FBA to work in the first place !). They can all connect to the OWA on the server. The problem is definitely authenication because when you run internet explorer on the server VPC with exchange it connects and logs in right away. The other clients just get to the OWA forms page (with SSL etc) and won't allow you to log in (it tries but then doesn't log you in and flips right back to the log in page again).

Are there any cookie settings, domain controller settings or auth settings I should be checking ? Also is there a place I can view all failed log in attempts to figure out why ?

My next thing is trying this IIS AuthDiag test tool from microsoft to see if it says anything.

Really stuck on this one.

Thanks

Kevin.

Have you set the Authentication Methods in the properties of the Exchange virtual directory?

(IIS Manager -> Default Website\Exchange Properties -> Directory Security tab -> Authentication and access control)

Only Basic Authentication needs to be checked and I like to set the default domain and realm to the local domain (mydomain.local).

s.

Hi,

Yes I have been up and down this section.

I have one question however, do all of the Exchange Virtual Directories have to be selected for basic authentication or just the Exchange one ?

Also why are the Virtual Directories security settings grayed out in Exchange ? I can't change them from the admin console, just in IIS ?

Kevin

If you search here, you'll find a post by Markdmac that illustrates what should be set for each of the folders.

The only time I see this issue is when the installation of the cert is bad. Try removing the cert, testing normal access, then reinstall.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

58sniper,

Thanks for the info. I'll try your suggestion of re-doing the certificate and see what happens. I know there was a question of whether to have the system automatically try to install it or do a manual install of the certificate. I previously choose the auto route, so now I'll choose the manual one.

We'll see what happens...

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back