Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Owa cannot access from internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin911

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2004
CA
I installed IISLOCK on the server and i cannot access it trough the internet. This is for Exchange 2000. I uninstalled IISLOCK to see if it would fix the problem but it isnt.

I am using a firewall which have a port forward for port xxxx for my exchange server. Is there any port that need to be opened in order to run OWA 2000. My old exchange 5.5 owa never had any issue with the actual configuration.

It work well from our lan but when i try to access owa with IP:port/exchange i get that error.

If anyone have an idea please let me know i have to make this work today really having a bad day everything work well except owa.

I get an error saying:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for might have been removed or had its name changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the s: home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

If you still cannot open the page, click the Internet Explorer
Search button to look for similar sites.

Internet Explorer

port 80 (or 443 for SSL) are the defaults

Check if they are not blocked bt router, firewall or ISP

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Now i get an error saying:

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

i cannot figure what is wrong it must be something with IIS would someone have an idea ?

before blaming IIS, can you at least PING your owa server?

See also

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

I had a server that had the same ip then this one which was my exchange 5.5 server and was running Owa fine. Now with Exchange 2000 i can run it from my lan but not from the internet i am not using SSL.

I get a login window but after i login i get a windows with the error i listed a dns error.

If i login with 10.x.x.x/exchange it work fine.

If i log with IP/exchange:port/exchange its when i get my dns error after i get prompted for username password and domain.

Get this document and go over it in detail

Marc
[/sub]

anton, please read the post, what you propose is already described in the initial question

i tried this already and followed the procedure and it didnt work. If i access from 10.x.x.x/exchange it work (from our lan) if i go outside the lan is when i get problems with OWA only using or But i do get an authentification window asking me for a login and password. It's after that that im getting the DNS error after authentification.

If i type it redirect me to a page on the server that say page under construction (that i think is normal). This is also after asking me authentification.

There is a port forward configured on the server for port 80 which is the port im using.

I didnt make any change on the firewall since i was using the same IP for the new exchange 2000 server and removed the old one.

The windows 2000 domain and the exchange server are located behind a firewall using a port forward on the local machine on which owa is configured on same server then exchange 2000.

If i log on with without the /exchange i get page under construction error.

I made sure that the dns i was using on my primary domain controller are the same then on my exchange 2000 server.

If someone think they could give me a hand with this id appreciate.

I have a forwarder configured on 142.77.1.1 which is my isp provider dns server. They said everything was fine on their side. So im guessing its something internally that i didn't probably see.

The name of my server has changed from the one i was using in exchange 5.5 it is now called Exchangesrv and i looked in the DNS on my Domain Controller and there is a dns entry for Exchangesrv with the correct IP.

Thanks in advance for the help and if someone think i should add detail let me know.

Check your DNS again

Marc
[/sub]

Ive just noticed on my log in Exchange i get an event id: 100 source: w3svc

The server was unable to logon the Windows NT account '<user name>' due to the following error: <error description>. The data is the error code.

eventid.net description:

Most common error: "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password". We have seen this message quite often on public sites that run Microsoft IIS having NTLM Authentication enabled. When an anonymous users connects with Internet Explorer, the browser will try to provide the user's credentials (to authenticate via NTLM). Naturally, the credentials won't match the local accounts so the login would fail generating this error message.

but im using the good domain/username ... Should i disable NTLM authentification ?

I found out that my problem was due to port forwarding i will check on my firewall why it doesnt work. I've put a virtual port 80 forwarded to my internal machine on port 80 and OWA works fine now till i find how to fix it.

But when i had another port configured that was redirecting on my internal machine on port 80 it wasnt working when accessing from the internet.

Just tought i would let everyone know in case someone get a similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back