Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA and Inetpub Catalog.wci Large Files Delete? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekinfmgr

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2005
US
I have noticed very large files in the C:\Inetpub\Catalog.wci folder that end in .ci.

How can I safely remove these files? I assume they related to the use of OWA and IIS on an Exchange 2003 server.

Thank you,

By default, the Catalog.wci directory is created on your Web server during the installation of Microsoft Index Server. You can usually find the catalog directory under the InetPub directory on the drive where you installed IIS.

The function of the Index Server is to provide a method for clients to search your Internet server content.

This isn't part of your exchange installation or needed for OWA in a default install. Do you have any other websites on this server?

If not you could move them somewhere else and after a backup remove the index server.

There is an Index Server Administration page that lets you control and monitor the Index Server. You can open the Index Administration Tool by typing your IP address followed by /iisadmin/isadmin/admin.htm in IE.

Cheers,

Steve

They are index files Created by the microsoft indexing service when you create a full text index for a website.

Thank you for your response.

If I do not need these, I would just like to delete and go.

You mention backing up, do I really need to?

No you dont have to back them up.
Worst case is no indexing but it isnt needed for OWA.

Thanks for your help. I went for it.

I needed that 30 GB back badly.

30GB? Yikes.

You can actually move the whole InetPub folder off C and onto another drive - I find that it improves performance though I run OWA and Intranet on the same boxes. OWA only probably wouldn't make much impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back