Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA 2003 only show red Xs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toksoladuti

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2001
GB
We have a new install of Windows 2003 SBS server, with Exchange 2003. OWA works fine when connecting inside our LAN, however, when anyone log in externally, they get the login in prompt and that works fine, but in OWA all of the icons on the left side and top of the screen are blank placecards with Red Xs. All the settings on the server are the defaults, and on our Watchguard firewall ports 80 and 443 point to our server. What do I need to check/change. Thank you.

I'm guessing you're using the watchgaurd http proxy. Let's see:

Monitors Web traffic, blocking traffic attempting to enter through ports other than port 80, selectively filtering content to protect your Web clients.
Forces strict compliance with established Web standards for Web traffic.
Filters potentially dangerous MIME content types.
Filters Java® and ActiveX® controls.
Filters content to enforce your company's network use policy.
Removes unknown headers to defend against new attack techniques.
Removes cookies to defend network privacy.

Yup, that would definitely break OWA. Don't use the proxy, just set up a rule to allow 80.

Thanks, but we're using a Watchguard SOHO 6 which doesn't have HTTP Proxy.

I've seen this before, In fact, i just faced it the other day. It took a little bit of head scratching to get it to work. It has to do with IIS directory permissions. The graphics all come from the "exchweb" directory. The Authentication on all exchange directories should look like this:

Exchweb folder-
Enable anonymous: Checked
Integrated Windows Authentication: Checked
Basic: checked, say yes to message
Default domain: YOUR NETBIOS DOMAIN NAME (i like doing this it makes my users less confused, it assumes domain name and the user just types their user name)
------------------------------------------
Exadmin folder-
Only Integrated Windows Authentication, no other authentication
Exchange folder (the make or break you OWA folder)
On Virtual directory tab -
local path="\\.\BackOfficeStorage\primary mail domain\MBX"
all check boxes checked, "Scriptsource, read, write, directory browsing, log, index"
No Application defined
On Authentication-
No anonymous
Integrated Windows:Checked
Basic:checked, click yes to message
Default domain, Same as above
Also, i set my "Public" share the same as the exchweb folder. It puts a little more security in
note, dont neccesarily let the settings cascade over other folders that have defined their own permissions. Sometimes you can mess things up doing this.

I'm having a similar problem with OWA but your suggestions didn't help. I can log in via a browser but what is displayed looks like the basic webmail links at the top of the screen like "New" and "Log Off"; the left column has "Inbox" "Calander" "Contact" etc as it should, but without the icons. The main body of the page is blank. The icons that should appear beside the "Inbox" "New Message" etc links are the basic red x that appears when an icon can't be displayed. When I click the few text links that are there such as "Inbox" it tries to do something but ends up with either an error or just does nothing. Please advise on what's going on here. My boss wants this very badly, and so do I for that matter. Thanks.

Ok, so IT works inside, but not outside of your firewall. I think i may have jumped a bit. You say it works internally. But outside its screwy. First, are there any other websites running on this server? Accessible from DNS out on the internet? Or by IP even. Lets see if you can host HTTP traffic successfully from your IIS. Also, one thing to check, is what message is IIS giving. Go here C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles, and find the most recently updated folder and file mentioning W3C. One easy way to do this is to delete them all, and the first one that pops up after you test the symptoms will show the log for your session. Or you can order by last modified. Anyhow, look for the error codes you get after testing:

i.e.
15:05:45 127.0.0.1 GET /adi/informit/;dcopt=ist;sz=1x1;ord=1045234569947 404

Looking for any 300s 400s 500s. You'll most likely see them on gif files, jpg files, js, asp etc....

My server is hosting and works from outside but I get the red x's no matter what I try. It doesn't seem like a permissions issue, it seems more like some service isn't started that needs to be. But what?

Thanks for your help, but it wasn't a permissions issue this time. A recent patch for an issue with Sharepoint services (Microsoft Hotfix Q832880) seemed to result in me having to run the Windows SBS 2003 Email and Internet Configuration Wizard again. AFter running this my OWA became available externally. Hope this helps others too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back