Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA 2000: Access Denied (external only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaTheNut

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
US
I am able to access OWA 2000 internally with no problems. However, when I try to access it externally, I get "Error: Access Denied". I can send and receive email externally with no problem. I simply cannot access OWA externally. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Notes:
1. I am using Exchange 2000 with IIS 5.0.
2. I do not have a firewall (not yet, anyway).
3. Exchange has a public IP address with proper DNS entries.
4. Active Directory is on a different server. Game Over, Man!

Have you had any joy sorting this? I've got exactly the same problem and the annoying thing is that it used to work, but has decided to stop working for some reason.

I've gone through the entire config of Exchange 2k and our Firewall and found nothing!

Are the IP address inside you network on the same segment as the outside address? It sounds like the outside can't authenicate to the Domain Controller on the inside.

I believe I discovered my problem.

I had designed and implemented my own network (away from my place of work). When I would attempt to access OWA from work, I would get the "Error: Access Denied" message. I was pulling my hair out trying to understand why. I could access OWA from my network, but not from work! Then, one day I was at a friends house and decided to try to access OWA from there. I was able to get in!! I then checked with my employer and discovered they were blocking access (How? I don't know). Consequently, I set up SSL so that my employer's sniffers could not detect my access to OWA and all worked beautifully :) (Strange, but true)

I am interested to find out how they could block access to OWA specifically and not any other email services such as Excite.com or Hotmail.com. Game Over, Man!

Hi:
I have the same problem with W2K+SP3 and Exchange2000+SP3. I can access from the internal lan. But externally, it depends on the conexion type (via modem or ADSL) or even using or not a proxy we're able to connect to the OWA outside the network, why? (via modem and proxy it works)
If I use ADSL it can work or not, depending on the location, amazing isn't it?
From one ADSL we can try to access with internal proxy or not. With proxy, it works but not without it.
I have even tried it with the same PC (at home) with ADSL and with modem, without modifing any configuration. It only worked in the second case.
I used a sniffer (Iris) to capture the traces and I found out this error, have you ever heard about it?

I don't know if it can solve the problem. What do you think?

Easy fix!
Open up internet services manager
Choose Default Web Site (unless its been renamed) and right click on it.

Click on Directory Security tab, and edit the IP address, domain restrictions. I'll bet it is set up to allow access to only a select batch of IP addresses. Its here you choose which addressing ranges to allow access to the web

Some of the virtual directories within the default website are part of exchange2000 and will inherit the global setting changes. When setting the security changes, you may be asked if you wish to apply them to 'subfolders' of the website. Select all and say yes to this question if asked.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back