Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OVOW vs. MOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

GESwihart

Technical User
Apr 10, 2004
US
Right now my organization is looking at OpenView for Windows for our management software. We previously had looked at Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) and mgmt. is leaning towards OVOW. I am still wanting to test MOM 2005 to see if some of the previous problems have been resolved. Has anyone looked at both products and if so what are your pros and cons? We are currently testing OVOW and mgmt. loves it so I don't have much time to argue my case for MOM. Any thoughts on either product would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Geoff

Hi GESwihart

I was in the same situation like u ; to OV or not to OV ? MOM or OV ?

after many discussions and searches I piked OV NNM.

but it depends on ur needs ... are u going to manage HW or SW ?

if HW ... are u using SNMP only ? if yes --> OV NNM

I have asked one of microsoft experts about MOM and he told me that MOM does not manage SNMP devices directly .. MOM use a WMI- to -SNMP adapter to talk to SNMP devices

and I don't need this extra layer

I think u should put a list of all ur requirments ; then compare between OV and MOM
and get the winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back