Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overwriting Save sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty311

Technical User
Feb 6, 2001
US
Is it possible without consolidating to set a save set to recyclable and then overwrite just the save sets that are recyclable?
I have several tapes that the backups were aborted or what not and the data is set to recyclable but the space is still waisted and I would like to recover it.

Hi,
I don't think you can write over just a save set---the whole tape would have to be recyclable for anything to be overwritten.

That is what I don't understand, you SHOULD be able to do what I suggested as the index is re-written to the same tape(optionally though it doesnt matter the index is re-written anyways to some media..) everytime ,anyway so it SHOULD be able to overwrite data and re-index it, it might be a little slower once data is out of "order" but that shouldn't matter.

You could try playing around with the client indexes...reclaim space...then *logically speaking* if the indexes don't exist, then it will overwrite that space...
In the legato books, it says that if you remove the save set info from the media database, then the space is basically reclaimed. Ofcourse the media database (nsrmmdbd) is controlled by nsrim, and the file-index db is controlled by nsrindexd...so what I said above may or may not work...
But try reading up on those, hopefully it will help you.

I just wanted to add...if you are going to try to do that 'reclaim space' thing, try a test first to make sure it doesn't take ALL the index info out...
Good luck...
-ckg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back