Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overwriting media name with backup date - Arcserve 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

techy2003

Technical User
Jul 29, 2003
GB
I will like to overwrite the media name of my daily backup with the date so the media will be easily identified with the date the backup was made. How do you do this?

with ARCserve this only can be achieved automatically by using the GFS rotation scheme ( use rotation in the schedule tab and choose any GFS type of scheduling )

regards

Thanks for the information. I am using a customer scheme and was hoping I could achieve date media naming with my current rotation scheme.

Regards

Just use * for destination name, and Arcserve will name the tape with the date of job start.

I use it occasionally.

Cheers,

Mikeyb

This is true, but only when you use blank media, otherwise ARCserve will use the same name as the tape had before.
So as a workaround you can also erase the media before backing up and use the * for destination name, but this causes extra tape handling.

regards

The best way to do this is to setup a batchfile called erase.bat that looks similar to this.

=================================
@echo off

REM Change to the directory in which ARCserve is installed.
REM The "" marks are necessary if it is installed in a directory with 2 words.

cd "C:\Program Files\ComputerAssociates\ARCserve"

REM run the command to erase the tape
REM -z tells it to erase, -m1 tells it to only erase media label. There are two other options -m2 and -m3. They are the same as the erase options at the gui level.

tapetest -z -m1

=================================

If you add this batchfile to the pre/post section, it will erase the media label before the backup starts and you will always have the correct date for every backup.

I hope this helps,

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back