Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

overwrite protection 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmik

IS-IT--Management
May 5, 2000
US
2 months ago set up Back up exec, it was going great then for the last pass week any tape I stick in there I can only get one backup on it When I try get another night's on it it gives me the overwrite protection message. Now I know I did not go into the program to change anything, but everyday I go in there to see if I can correct the problem. after a week of doing this I am at my wits end. Does anyone have any helpful ideas?

What capacity drive? How large are your backups? Are you using "append to media settings"? Which overwrite protection did you choose when you created your set?

The tapes are 30/70, I was able to get three days of full back on one tape. None of the settings have been changed, what has been happening is that even with a new tape in I get one day's back-up, then on the next day nothing happens and I get the alert message that the tape is overwrite protected. I'm new to this what is the norm for overwrite and appending

WELL IF YOU HAVE GOT 7.2 or 7.3 then use the following technote...I agiving the link to the technote

The error "The media provided already contains data from one or more sets created during this operation. This operation cannot be continued" during a backup operation, using Backup Exec for Windows NT v7.2 and v7.3.
[sig][/sig]

No, BE is just try to protect the data on your tapes from being overwritten by your new jobs. it is doing this because you told it to through your choices on the overwrite protection settings for your media.

Spend some time on the MEDIA tab in Backup Exec. Right click on the item called Media Set 1. Go to Properties. It will show you the Ovewrite Protection and Append times available for MEDIASet 1. These settings then apply to all tapes in that media set. All of your tapes are probably in media set 1 and have these same settings unless you created your own media sets.

What is the exact full message or error?
What Version and build of BENT?
What SP are you on?

I encountered the same issue with Ver. 9.0 and had to do a database repair to resolve.

"C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\BEUtility.exe"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back