Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overriding Group Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickhills

Programmer
Oct 18, 2001
GB
Hi all,

due to some recent changes we have made to our intranet setup, there is the need to change a few settings for IE.

these are setting the home page URL to a new location, and also changing the proxy server and port number.

so, i have added the required modifications to the root domain GPO and, for 80% of the clients this has worked fine. The remaining 20% are still stuck with the old settings, and despite numerous reboots and 'secedit /refreshpolicy's has made no difference.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this… could the users profile be overriding these settings, and if so, how can i stop it?

we are an entirely 2k domain, the affected machines are all on various SP levels so i cant see that this is the problem. All users are local admins (i know, i know).

please help, i'm knackerd after setting about 50 of these machines by hand!

check your security setting for the group policy and make sure everyone has access to it. Also are these users in different OUs? If so check the policy on the OU to see if it overrides the domain policy.

thanks ksukenny,

i have now checked that, this is what we have!

we only have one GPO, and that is at the root level of our domain.

the authenticated users group has read/apply permissions as well.

i also tried adding the 'everyone' group and gave it read&apply, but still no change.

but here's the really wierd bit: if i change the settings by hand, and then the user logs off, and then back on again the old settings are restored! - could this be related to profile settings??? - i'm running out of ideas here.

Nickhills,

Are any of those users configured with Mandatory Profiles?

Just a thought,

Patty[ponytails2]

in a word - no

all machines are identical spec & setup (some departments have extra software etc)

quite simply, some work, some dont...i'm still stuck

Nickhills,

Can you post an Ipconfig /all for a machine that works correctly and one that doesn't?

Patty [ponytails2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back