Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overhead paging using Analog Out - must go Offhook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbutler

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2005
US
Our vendor set up one of the ports on our Analog-8 to do overhead paging, with the pair hooked up to a mute module on the in-house music system.

The problem was, you couldn't hook the analog out directly up to the inputs on the audio system. The only solution I could find was to put a splitter in the line and hook up a POS POTS phone (piece of s**t POTS phone) and LEAVE IT OFF HOOK. Then hook up the second part of the splitter to the audio system. Works OK I guess, but not elegant.

Does anyone know if there is an actual part that can plug into the Analog out to do this function? Seems like it must just be making a DC couple between the pair then coupling the AC outputs over to the audio system. Probably a simple low-pass filter between the pair?

But there has to be a better way than hooking up a POTS phone and leaving it off-hook!

Sorry, should have mentioned. This analog 8 is hooked up in a sys with an IP412, V3.0(59) I think it is.

You are suppose to use the Avaya UPAM (universal paging adapter). However I have had succes by just putting a 1000 ohn resitor accross the line. It is eneogh for the Ip to see but does not affect the paging.

You don't even need to do that. A little resistor will work. here's the deal. When the phone system is booting up, it "looks" for the paging system. It can tell if the paging is there if it sees some impedance on the line. The off-hook phone is that small short required. In our case, we also insert a chime tone, and simply attaching that chime unit in-line with the audio output, creates the necessary impedance to tell the system the equipment is there. I very low resistor (the lowest rat shack sells) should be enough.

Hope this helps...

Kris G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back