Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overflow error from query when criteria added

Status
Not open for further replies.

blandrp

Programmer
Mar 19, 2008
US
I have a fairly simple table containing orders placed (410,412 rows) with the following pertinent columns:

Order#: Number (Double)
Date: Date/Time
#Items: Long Integer
OrderAmount: Currency

I have a query that is trying to return the orders from the past week with an average item price less than $175. This query has worked with no problems up until about 2 weeks ago when I started to get a popup containing only the word "Overflow" when I run the query.

I have set up a test query to narrow down the issue and have found the following. I can set up the following query and it will run with no issues:

Column 1 - Int([Date]) with criteria ">= (Date() - 7) And <= (Date() - 1)"
Column 2 - Order#
Column 3 - Date
Column 4 - Round([OrderAmount]/[#Items], 2)

As I said, running this query works fine. However, if I add the criteria "< 175" for column 4 above then I start to get the Overflow error!

Any ideas on why adding this criteria makes any difference? The smallest average item price is $27.88 and the largest is $2274.47 so I don't see how this could be a number format issue (which is what most of my google searches regarding the Overflow error have hinted at).

And with this criteria ?
<175.00

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I tried using "<175.00" as well as "<175.01" and neither one works. :(

Just in case it might make a difference, this is happening in Access 2003 SP1. Also, I forgot to mention in my first post that the query without the "bad" criteria only brings back 2151 rows so I can't imagine that this might be caused by some issue with data volume.

I've found another interesting twist to my issue. As I stated originally, putting criteria for column 1 without any criteria for column 4 works fine. The issue starts to occur when I have criteria for both columns 1 and 4. I tried to run the query with the criteria for column 4 but without any criteria for column 1, and the query runs fine. So, what is the problem with the combination of criteria for columns 1 and 4???

Turns out there was a record that got a 0 for the #Items somehow - another issue to look into! :( Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back