Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foodstamp

Technical User
Jul 30, 2000
US
I hear from a great many people that they recomend overclocking. Would anyone recomend this? I hear good and bad on the subject? I also hear the same thing regarding O/C your video card?Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br><br>Im running:<br>K6/2 450 on a Tyan Trinity s1598 mobo<br>128 MB ram<br>Voodoo 5 <br><br>Thanks in advance.

since yer using a Voodoo5 , I cant recomend you overclock it(3dfx is lazy, and their cards are overpriced, and they overheat way too well) as far as the 450, you cant overclock a k6-2 very high, you might be able to make it a K6-2/500 just by changing the jumpers on the Motherboard to say that it's a K6-2/500 (make sure the voltage is the same, but only the multipler changes) other than that, your system cant take much overclocking, Nvidia cards are often good for O/C, also Athlons/Celerons/Some PIII are good overclocking chips. in all cases Overclocking will void your warrenty so if you still have a warrenty on most of your items I wouldnt do it, but if you dont, well proceed at your own risk. Remeber key to overclocking is to have LOTS of cooling. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

I have had a go at overclocking my K62 350 and i managed to get it to 450MHz without any problems. The best thing to do when overclocking is to increase the core voltage by 0.1 volts for every 50 or so MHz u decide to go up. <br><br>I also have a Voodoo 3 2000 whic i overclocked to 200MHz without any improvment in speed, not noticable improvment any way, plus the chip on the V3 got twice as hot so i would not recommend overclocking a graphics card, especially one as expencive as that.<br><br>Jason<br><br>P.S. why the hell do you want to o/c a voodoo 5 any way? as if its not fast enough allready. <br>

Hello,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Here, we tried several CPU's and, you'll have to find a very good chip to overclock.. <br><br>Pros: - Gain speed<br><br>Cons: - Can burn your CPU or video card chip<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- O/S very unstable (at 75% of the time)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- The warranties does not cover overcloking, they can see it..!<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Bottom line, why would you want to risk all that to gain a little speed..? Mmmm, I'm better of buying the max I can buy for now as a CPU, and change it in a near future because the prices are dropping so fast now..!!<br><br>Ben_Cool

a V5 isnt great for o/c as I already stated, even tho it's slower than it's promised speed, a More overclockable chip is a Celeron, or an Athlon, even if you manage a 50Mhtz increase you really wont notice it, normally an increase in the system platform itself has more of an improvement(like front side bus increase) than increasing some of the core componets. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Well based on all the information here and from what I have heard I probaby will not O/C anything. I will probably eventually end up getting a Athlon sooner or later. I was Just checking to see what other people thought who have more experience on the matter. Thanks to everyone who replied.. Oh and for O/C the Voodoo I wasn't plan on doing it I just wanted to know if it was possible. Thnx again.

anything is possible, I had my PS/2 Mouse overclocked to over 100Mhtz once (typically they're clocked at 20-40 Mhtz), the mouse I have now a Microsoft intelimouse explorer, runs at about 200Mhtz, and is a Laser mouse <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Why would you want a mouse overclocked to 200Mhz? Your hand can't possible move that fast, unless....your some kind of mutant ;-)Is it a side effect of having a cpu overclocked?<br><br> <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

it's not the speed, it's the smoothness, try it sometimes, with an overclocked mouse, or USB mouse the smoothness of the movement is very good, lower clocked mouse like even a serial/bus mouse refresh slower, so you dont get as smooth of a movement, often jittery(most of us are so used to this anyways) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

How do you over clock a mouse anyway? I had put some thought into overclocking a mouse and I came to a similar conclusion as you. But I am curious though I have never heard of overclocking the mouse. Can it have any adverse effects? <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

How do you go about o/c a mouse, although i have never heard of it, its got to be worth a try.<br><br>Jason

try tweakfiles.com it should have PS/2Clock program or something for overclocking a PS/2 mouse. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

The program, ps2/rate is what I use to overclock my mouse. <br>It is essential when playing 3d-shooters like quake3. You don´t want to let that smoothness go, once you got it.<br><br><br> <p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

hehe, very true, this is why I use a Microsft Intelimouse Explorer, very nice, some might say &quot;no! get the Razor Boomslang&quot; this mouse isnt as good as it appears, it's advertized as a gamming mouse, it uses a ball, and not laser, and as well people had troble getting use to it's larget than Microsft's IntelimouseExplorer size. The InteliExplorer on some reviews was rated as a good mouse for all around activities, games, graphics, office, etc. and its quite confortable after a lil while.<br>there are some other things you can change in your computer, without nessarily &quot;Overclocking&quot; them, for example I am not sure if you do this or not, but some people's monitors are still at 60Khz(windows' default refresh) this is usally an eyesore for most people, grabing a program like PowerStrip or HZTool(or even sometimes located in the Card's customized drivers) you can increase the refresh rate of certain resolutions, anything past 80khz is usally confortable, and Quake3 looks very nice when you got your 800x600 at 130Khz instead of 60khz. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

So the o/c only works for ps/2 mice? I guess serial mice are too primative :) <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

so far that only works for the PS/2, Serial or Bus mice would probally require you physically overclocking the mouse unit itself, not sure exactly why but oh well hehe.<br><br>I'll probally think of some other &quot;Tweaks&quot; (I call them tweaks, since they dont void your warrenty like Overclocking does, as well as they dont seem to do any harm) and Let you know. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Thanks..... <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back