Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overall rating of Veritas by those of you who've used it for awhile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHead2

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
I been evaluating BackupExec for a couple weeks now and I'm basically at the point where I've got to buy something...

I was just wondering how everyone here who's been using it awhile feels about the product.

Would you buy it again if you had to start over or would you go with something else?

Any major problems/issues you've had with Veritas?

The one area where I haven't gotten to play with it too much is with restoring servers.

I managed to get all my backups scheduled and to run successfully (two AD servers, two Exchange Servers, a SharePoint server, and a bunch of SQL servers) but I'm still a little concerned with how (un)smoothly the restore process goes (if I can't get the backup restored than what goos is the backup...).

Overall I've gotten pretty comfortable with software and their support has been very responsive (especially considering the fact that I haven't bought it yet).

I'd just like to hear some more opinions before my company spends a bunch of $$$$ on this...

Thanks.

The only problem I had was that I was never told about the issue with BE 8.6 not working with MSSQL Server 2000 under SPECIFIC conditions (we met all the conditions). So when I had a crash, none of my tapes works.

Lesson learned....Veritas BE SQL Agent isn't worth the money. I am now doing 'native' MSSQL Server backups (using the BACKUP DATABASE command) to backup my database to hard drive as a .bak file. Then I use Veritas to copy that file to tape. Yes it takes a little bit longer, but it's worth it. If I had been doing that from the beginning I would not have 'lost' 192 GB of data. Veritas recovered it for me, but I would rather it had worked the first time.

I do agree, Veritas support has been very helpful to us.

One thing you might do....Install the evaluation copy loading everything. Do your backups. Re-install the eval copy removing one of the options, do your backups. Keep doing that until you've checked all the options. This will show you which options you really need to buy. If your backups fail, then you know you need the option that you just left off.

-SQLBill

BE is ripe with issues, but its the best there is at present.

Trent

I've used BE for years and love it. It's saved my ass on several occasions. It's light years ahead of ArcServe, which I've supported in the past. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

Hit 'submit too soon' I agree with SQLBill particularly about the SQL agent. (as do most SQL admins) You are much better off doing a native SQL dump and backing that up, don't waste $$ on the agent. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

I've been using Veritas Backup Exec (ver 8.0 to 8.6) for about 4 years now, and I think it's a great product.
It does have quite a few issues, but the support is pretty good and then there is Tek-Tips for when Support falls short.
One observation I have made is: You have to get to know the product and how to use it correctly.
It has many little settings and tunings that need to be played with, but that gives it the versatility it has.

Good Luck!
Tyrone

Used Backup exec for a couple of years but never used Arcserve so couldn't compare it. BE does what we ask of it ust fine which is a backup of several servers and an Exchange box no probs.

Compared to Arcserve as you say, BE is far more reliable. But IMO BE lacks in functions as soon as you use it with a library. So on systems without a library, use BE. On systems with a library Use HP Dataprotector. Witch is a great product (far more hard to configure, but great support and documentation). Highly recomended by me...

Well all backup applications is free to use at least 30 days, so try them out.. and i can say that BE never is a bad choice, but as i said HP Dataprotector whips ass if you are man enough to set it up.
8)

I have been using BE for 2 years and have not failed to restore data or a server that has crashed. I lost 2 sql servers and 1 exchange server due to hardware. I was able to put all 3 back in hours. The BE is really a data protection device. I also use Powerquest V2 to take ghost images of servers. It alows ghosting of raid 5 drives. By using these images in conjunction with BE, I feel pretty confident in quick restores of fatal crashes.

Hi I have been using backupexec for 5 years now...great product, great support...just upgraded to version 9 on the weekend..still a few bugs in it...I would wait a while on version 9.

just my 2 cent's!

Please check the dates of threads before you reply to them. This one was from last year (Dec 2002 and ended in Jan 2003). The original poster (PHead2) and the others who marked this thread for notification, probably don't want to keep getting notices that someone replied to their thread.

Yes, your posting may be on the same subject, but time has passed (over 2 months) so please start another thread if you feel this discussion should continue.

Thanks

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back