Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outter joins - Catalogues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosibee

Programmer
Jul 2, 2001
GB
Hello everyone!

I wondering if someone could answer this problem I have. If you join two or more tables via an equi-join in a catalogue in Impromptu - would this effect you results if you wanted to get values which were like outer-join values. I.e values which were not matching.

Is this poss?

Many thanks

rosi ;-)

Hi,

If you do so... you might get a prompt (if the setting was not altered accordingly)...
even then... the report generated might not be correct... so, better check the output with ur user first....

rgds.

Thanks Warque, but I am trying to find a way to do a three dimensional report on Impromptu. My our BI office are not every helpful and I have to go through to them in order to talk to Cognos.

I know what the results should be and Impromptu is falling down at the second hurdle and gives incorrect figures.
----
The other thing I would like to ask you or anyone that reads this is how do I create a query definition file from Impromptu.

Thanks for the time and the help

rosi s-)

hi rosi...

pls correct me if i get you wrong... but u were saying that u r trying to build a multi-dimensional reports using impromptu...?

i don't think that is possible... for multi-dimensional analysis you have to use powerplay... but then, i maight have misunderstood u... pls clarify...

regarding the iqd files format... you can simply save your reports as iqd by selecting iqd at the file type box...

rgds

Thanks Waque - I thought that it might not be poss to do a three dimensional report using Impromptu!I have about four reports to do and Impromptu is not forthcoming! But like I said before my Business Intelligence department have been far from helpful!

And because of this I moving forward this week and I am going on a Powerplay course this week - because if I don't they won't give me the software to do the reports! Sounds crazy - but it's reality!

So could I break the report into three - even though I use some of the data in one query to output to the other? Is it poss -

Thanks Warque!

rosi :eek:)

Actually you can do limited multi-dimensional reporting in Impromptu, especially now that the cross-tab reporting is much improved. Format your report to do grouping on your dimensions. You can use calculated columns with prompts to make them more flexible if you like. Then place them in either the x or y dimensions of the crosstab. Imp 6 supports much nicer nesting of the dimensions also.

Relating to your outer-join question: Is Impromptu dropping rows when you poull data from multiple tables? If so, you definitely have an OJ problem. Impromptu can handle more OJ's than the database itself, but the catalog has to be configured to do this.

Hope this helps.

Dave Griffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back