Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outrageously large fonts in ie6/oe6 on xp-home

Status
Not open for further replies.

potsi

MIS
Mar 3, 2003
US
I have a client who _just_ brought home a new PC. She has not yet had time to trash it, and I was there as it was unpackaged. From the get-go, it has had enormous fonts in ie and oe. Not big fonts, like setting View/Text Size/Largest I mean freggin' HUGE!

I tried to search for help on MS site and the text in the search-field was in excess of 144pt! 'ie' would not fit on her 1024x768 screen with ie maximized! OE/IE also print in true WYSIWYG - 1/2 page for the 'brief' header at the top of a message!

Here's what I've tried: Verified font settings in IE (with set to smallest, they show ~36pt on-screen). Changed default fonts from Internet Options/General/Fonts. Also tried different languages - hoping for an invalid TTF or code-page problem. Adjusted video settings to smaller fonts (which does reduce the size, but even when desktop icon titles are so small they're not legible, the IE is still too big). Changed XP Display/Appearance settings WRT fonts. Found a thread on IE fonts here and whacked the registry: HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/International/Scripts/3
and set the following: "IEFontSize"=hex:02,00,00,00

There was also a mention of using add/remove to have IE check itself out...the is not an IE entry in add/remove.

Finally, all applications which do NOT rely on the html parser in IE seem to display normally. Others that do use it (QuickBooks, NAV, etc) have their displays mucked-up since the fonts are affected there as well and there's simply not enough real estate to display.

Regards,

Potsi

One quick thing to try if the machine has a wheel mouse, launch IE place cursor over the page, hold down Control and scroll the wheel. One direction will increase the font size the other will reduce it.

I too am experiencing the enormous fonts issue in IE. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I've tried all the posted suggestions so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back