Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OutPut to Word Using [ProjectDesc] files as output file name

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyStone

Programmer
Feb 10, 2002
US
I have a report that I need to output to Microsoft Word. I can output the report to word just fine but what I'm looking to do is have the output to word take the [ProjectDesc] field and use it for the Word file name, loop through the records and produce separate output to Word reports matching the [ProjectDesc] in the table. Any help is appreciated.

That worked exactly. Thanks! Any idea why it works like that? Seems a bit odd.

-Chris

errrrrr.. Sorry That is me milti-tasking and working on two posts at once. What I meant was:

Use this : (This assumes Office 2k, but may work elsewhere)
-------------------------------------------------------
Dim stFullFilePath as String

FullFilePath = "Everything but the file name" & _[ProjectDesc] & ".doc"

objWord.Application.ActiveDocument.SaveAs (stFullFilePath)
-----------------------------------------------------
There are a lot of arguments, but filename is first. If you need more (such as how to call and loop through a recordset with ADO), let me know and I will try to put something together. Also, make sure you reference Word 9 object library.

Chris

Chris, appreciate the reply.. Was hoping for the easy way out by using code already written. If you have something it would be appreciated..

Ok Chris,
What Im trying to accomplish: (1)Open a report that is pulling the data from a table "TmpPDS". The TMPPDS table has all the information on individual projects. This isnt a problem. (2) Print the individual report records to Micorosft Word using the current "Name" field on the report as the Word file name. I am using Access 2002.

This is what I have so far. If I debug.Print rst!Name in the immediate window it shows the names of my projects from the TmpPDS table. When I insert the word line the full path is correct in the immediate window but the word line ---objWord.Application.ActiveDocument.SaveAs (stFullFilePath) gives me an error 424 Object required. Any suggestions on this one. I have the code attached to a report and I execute the code on the report using the on open event.

Public Sub WordDocuments()
Dim stFullFilePath As String
Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset
Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
Set cnn = CurrentProject.Connection
rst.Open "TmpPDS", cnn

Do Until rst.EOF

FullFilePath = "C:\temp\Documents\" & rst!Name & ".rtf"

objWord.Application.ActiveDocument.SaveAs (stFullFilePath)

rst.MoveNext

Loop

End Sub

Update: Chris This code works but with one problem. If the underlying table has 5 records I get 5 complete report outputs to rtf. with the all 5 reports in each rtf. I can't seem to get the loop to print each record individually. Any assistance would be appreciated.. TIA Heres the working code:

Public Sub WordDocuments()
Dim stFullFilePath As String
Dim strDocName As String
strDocName = "rptPDS"
rst.Open "TmpPDS", cnn

Do Until rst.EOF

DoCmd.OpenReport strDocName, acPreview
FullfilePath = "C:\temp\Documents\" & rst!Name & ".rtf"

DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, stDocName, acFormatRTF, (FullfilePath)

rst.MoveNext
Loop

End Sub

OK, got it.
This turned out to be trickier than I thought, and I am not sure this is the absolute best way, but it does work. (sorry about last week, Vacation.)

Things to do for this to work.
1) Put a text box txtRptUse on the form that will generate this. Hope the requirement of a form does not ruin anything.
2) Put the following as your filter in the report and turn filters on: [DepartmentID] = [Forms]![frmReports]![txtrptUse]

--------------------------------------------
Dim stDocName As String
Dim FullFilePath As String

stDocName = "rptDepts"
rst.Open "tblDepartments", cnn
stDocName = "rptDepts"

Do Until rst.EOF
FullFilePath = "C:TextFiles\" & rst!DepartmentID & ".rtf"
Me.txtrptUse = rst!DepartmentID
DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, stDocName, acFormatRTF, FullFilePath
rst.MoveNext
Loop
--------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps. I tried just manipulating the filter on the report with Report_rptDept.Filter (that is, the full name) but it complained that this had to be an object.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back