Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Output queue length...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguy

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
US
Hey there folks--

I'm wondering if there's a genuine bottleneck/flaw in our network or if Win2k's performance monitor is misreporting.. I've seen articles about Network:Output Queue Length not reporting correctly, but I'd just like a "second opinion" regarding our setup..

Currently we have about 60 workstations plugged into 3-Linksys 24-port 10/100 switches. One port from each Linksys goes into a 3com 8-port 10/100/1000 switch. One port from the 3com goes to a gigabit NIC in our server.

In my mind, this makes sense. It would seem that the gigabit line from the server would be able to handle all 3 Linksys switches utilizing 100% of their respective 100mbps ports going to the 3com. And yet, our Win2k server performance monitor reports Output Queue Length at a constant 4,294,966,779. This seems incredibly unlikely and I'm pretty sure it's misreporting. Basically, I'm wondering about the logistics of our gigabit "backbone" and whether it's helping or hurting us.

Any thoughts?

thanks
-- michael~

no thoughts on this? anyone? anyone? is this thing on?

Has anyone experienced this problem with single processor machines? I have 3 servers all experiencing this problem on a gigabit backbone running SP3 for contract reasons. Is it something that SP4 would fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back