Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OUTLOOK2002(XP) New,Reply etc BIG PROBLEM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faraday

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
US
When I click on the New, Reply, forward icons I get the error message: "error1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: MS Access Database, ODBC error6: Compnenet not found in the registry. Verify that the file MS Access Database exists and that you can access it."

What do I do?

Howdy:

Stick your Office XP cd into the drive and run the "repair" option when the menu comes up.

Murray

I tried the Detect and Repair feature. No help. Same problem occured. Would it be different if I uninstalled and then installed Outlook again? Don't want to loose my address book and calendar entries, however.

I've tried everything suggested so far. I no longer get the Error 1919 message, but everytime I click either the New, Reply or Forward icons, MS wants to send an error message and it restarts Outlook. This is very frustrating.

At this point, I would do a full Uninstall of Office XP, and then Reinstall Office XP (The uninstall will not remove your Outlook mailbox information). The repair feature does not always work.

I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I tried a full uninstall of OfficeXP and an install. The problem still exists. After I do an uninstall, how do I check to make sure all the registry entries have been removed? Are there any other things I should check?

Doc Faraday

I know I'm running out of ideas. Here's one last thought. Do a full un-install of Office XP. When you re-install, do it with command line switches. Click 'Start', 'Run', and then type in setup /facums data1.msi

See the following Microsoft page to see what the setup switches do.

Also, check on your Office XP CD to find the name of the .msi file, as it may not be data1.msi. The one on my Office XP CD was called proplus.msi.

Unfortunately, when you uninstall software, it does not clear out all of its registry entries, nor all of its files from the system directory.

Hope this helps. After this I'm out of ideas, other than a complete system rebuild, and that's getting pretty radical.

I was having problems with MS Explorer not opening links. I found the Tek-Tips very helpful in correcting this problem. When I got done, however, this problem with Outlook2002 crept up. I'm not sure what I did to cause this problem. Nothing I did should have had an effect on Outlook. The uninstall...reinstall did not correct the problem. I will try the latest suggestion of Beerhunter2 and do a manual (command line) reinstall.

Thanks
Doc Faraday

beerhunter2,

On my desktop, I run Office 2000 PRO in a Windows XP environment.

Thanks for the post about the Microsoft Knowledgebase article #320757. This fixed the problem I have had for months where every time I tried to run a Office 2000 Pro application or use the Help screen, I got the "Error 1919 ODBC message..." I searched everywhere and tried all kinds of Microsoft specified fixes to no avail.%-)

I copied the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBC and the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC files from my laptop onto my desktop and voila! [surprise] Office 2000 Pro works great now. (My laptops OS is WindowsXP and I had installed the same Office Pro CD on here also).

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Because this problem has driven me almost nuts. [2thumbsup] Who takes 7 seconds to develop,
7 mins to document,
7 hours to test,
7 months to fix will always blame the clock. s-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back