Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook2002 Restoring new mail envelope on task bar 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

When receiving new mail I use to receive the mail envelope on the system tray. I may have inadvertently hid it (you can do this by right clicking on this and selecting hide). Anyone know how to restore this so when new mail arrives you see the envelope on the system tray's task bar?

TIA,
Zoey

If you are running Windows XP, you can go to Start -> Settings -> Task Bar and Start Menu. On the Task Bar tab, go to the customize button and change your settings for your taskbar. Any other version of Windows, you should be able to make changes to the task bar in the Control Panel also.
In Outlook, you can go to Tools -> Options -> E-mail Options, and check to make sure that the box for "display notification message when new mail arrives" is checked.

Hope this helps,

Jenny May

Hi Jen,

What you suggest unfortunately does not put the envelope back onto the system tray when new mail comes in. The customized button does not show the new mail icon for the task bar. The closest item I see is, "You have new unopened items". But when I change that to "Always Show". I still do not get the envelope on the tray.

The other suggestion would be bad if you have viruses coming into your network you don't want that "Display Notification when new mail arrives" checked. You don't want virus messages being opened.

Thanks for your suggestions though. I will continue to search google.

Thanks

Okay, try this....sorry I was trying to be too quick and told you the wrong box to check.
Under advanced e-mail options, there is an option to show envelope icon in system tray when new e-mail arrives.

Jenny May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back