Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinmiller

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2001
GB
Hope someone can assist.

1 Where does Outlook2000 store personal address information.

2 How do I re-import it .

3 Simmilar questions for Personal folders ?

Help...please :)

Exchange server.
The issue has arisen because of a domain change,
now assumes the user is a new user and has screwed up the mail settings.

so do you have a Mailbox on the server??
If this is the case then everything is kept on the Server, including personal address info, are you talking about Contacts?? Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

all contacts are kept in with everyones mailbox, which is kept in a folder on the Server somewhat similar to...
G:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA which will have 2 files,
Priv.edb which will have all peoples mails and contacts etc which you are looking for,
and also Pub.edb which will have all public folders and contacts. Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Actually, although robinmiller is on an exchange server, it doesn't necessarily mean she using the server mailbox as the default.

It is possible that she has a set of personal folders configured (PST file) on her hard drive or out on a network drive. If this is the case, then her contacts would be stored in that folder.

robin,
To see if you have personal folders setup, go to Tools | Services . On the Services tab, you should see "Microsoft Exchange Server" and "Outlook Address Book". You'll also see an entry for "Personal Folders" if you have one setup...

~cdogg

Please help.
I'm looking for a solution for the PST file located on my file server.
I want to use the Win2K synchronizing data option to synchronizing the PST so it will be available offline.
Currently the PST file is being copy each logon logoff - I'm looking to copy only the changes in the file (like OST is being performed).
Can it be done from the outlook (like OST) so it won't copy the whole PST file from the network.
Thanks in advance for your answer,
Tamir Shapira (tamir@ti.com)

Tamir,

I guess someone on your network changed the policy allowing to make PST files available offline since that file type is disabled by default.

To answer your question that can't be done like an OST file. W2K synchronization can not merge contents. That is really why PST files are disabled by default because Microsoft did not wnat to the two different syncronization features between Outlook and W2K to cause conflicts.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

joegz,

I don't know if I buy your explanation or not. We have hundreds of people here that are running Win2K and Outlook 2K that have PST files setup. Synchronization is not a problem as long as the OST file is setup properly.

PST files allow users to store large amounts of mail without using the exchange server disk space. For instance, every user at our company (thousands) are only allowed 17-20 MB of server space to store new mail. Once the user logs on, the mail is pulled down to the PST (which might be locally on the hard drive, or out on the server). This makes perfect sense to have. If users weren't using PST files, they would run out of disk space rather quickly.

Tamir,

How are you connected? Over a LAN or dial-up?

As long as your OST file is setup, then it should only pull changes from your PST into the OST file. Go to Tools->Services and make sure you only have one personal folder listed. Then double-click on Microsoft Exchange Server, go to Advanced->Offline Folder File Settings. If the "disable offline use" button is greyed out, then it's not setup properly. Post back if this is the case. Otherwise, you should be okay.

Hi cdogg,

We are talking about two different animals here. You are referring to the synchronization used by Outlook using Offline folders.

Tamir, at least what I interpret by the question, is speaking about the synchronization for making network files available for offline use which was added to the W2K OS as a new feature.

You can refer to article

This will best explain to what I am referring and the question Tamir (I think) is asking.
joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back