Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapphire125

Technical User
Aug 12, 2001
GB
I need some advice here, I have 3 PCs at home all conected to internet via ADSL all running win XP pro and office 2003.

I would like to have email availible on all machines, currently I have one machine that has my emails on it and this is not the best solution I really need a way of able to read and write emails from all machines irespective of what machine they came into.

Must be possible ??

Sapphire

If it's a POP3 account, go into your email settings. Click on the "more settings" button, click on the "Advanced" tab and check "Leave a Copy of Messages on the Server".

With genenranae2k's solution, make sure you have at least 1 machine set to remove the messages from the server after a certain number of days. Otherwise, they will never be removed from the server and you will run out of mail storage space. Also with this solution, you will need to download the mail to each PC within this number of days, otherwise they won't get all the messages.

Another solution would be to use one common mail store location for all machines. This would have to be a shared folder on one of the computers and this computer would have to be turned on to use e-mail on any of them.

This is more the type of solution I want, to use one common mail store location for all machines.

Any ideas of programs that will do this.

Technically you could create one .PST file one one machine, and access it via Outlook on the other machines. This is "one at a time" access though.

Here's a bunch of software that will do what you want, but I think it's all pay-to-play stuff.

jpm121 is correct. All machines can share the 1 .pst file, but can only do so one at a time. If you can deal with this setup, it can be accomplished using Windows file sharing; no additional software required. If you're not familiar with using windows file sharing to share files over a network, start with

Thanks guys I will have a go at these ideas and let you know.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back