Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook XP takes approximately 2-4 seconds to open messages 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalcandy

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2003
US
From the time I double click a message to the time it opens, it takes ~2-4 seconds. Every message regardless of whether they are on the server, .pst, opened previously or unread.

Windows XP Pro
512MB memory
Pentium 4 1.5GHZ
Nortan Antivirus Corporate

I have several computers that are similiar to the one above but this is the only one on my network experiencing this problem.

Please help.

Too many programs running? Not enough memory?
Try while Norton is (temp.) disabled?
Compact you email.
Defrag the disk.
etc...
All those things to check or try.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

marcs41,

none of your suggestions apply to my situation and I've already temporarily disabled Norton and still it is slow when opening messages.

DanD76,

I looked at the article but that did not help.

Thanks.

I'm assuming email is slow to open for any user who logs into the computer. What versions of Outlook and Exchange Server are you running?

Have you monitored Task Manager, Processes sorted by CPU to see what is utilizing the CPU during these 2-4 seconds while the email is opening?

1)Do a scanpst.exe (Inbox Repair Tool) on your pst file.

2)Try running a detect and repair

3)Try disabling internet messaging by going to
Tools - Options - Other uncheck the "enable Instant Messaging.."

regards
MP

I may have narrowed the problem down.

I logged in with the administrator account and opened the problem mailbox. The messages opened instantly. I then deleted the user's profile that was having the problem. I then logged in with the problem user account and began to setup up her email. What do you know, no problems opening email. At this point there is something she must have done to make her email open with a 2-4 second latency. I told her to keep a close eye on everything she does. When she makes a setting change to check if her email is still ok.

Well the next day, I come in and she says her email has the 2-4 second latency problem again. I asked if she made any changes or installations on the computer after we both verified everything was ok. She said only that she setup MSN Messenger. Ah ha!

So again, I deleted her profile and set it back up again. Again, email was running smooth. I then setup MSN Messenger and after that the 2-4 second latency problems begins again.

So, where do I go from here. I told her she has two options right now, Do not use MSN Messenger or deal with the problem until I can figure out why Messenger is slowing down the opening of emails.

Maybe someone here can put 2 and 2 together.

In Outlook Express, go in Tools/Options/General and uncheck the line "Automatically logon to Messenger"

regards
MP

In a hurry posted the fix for Outlook Express instead of Outlook. Glad you got all set by yourself.

regards
MP

Just come accross this problem myself even running the current service packs.

Method 2 (disabling IM integration to outlook) works great. Not as though you lose much functionality anyway as IM still works perfectly.

I ran into this issue and was able to find your resolution to it using google. I was quite frustrated about it because it suddenly appeared not long after installing Outlook2002. Before I never had the problem while using outlook Express. And using OE, still installed, it worked well without any annoying delays. I was tempted to go back to using OE, the fast alternative;)

So I found your fix and applied it:

3)Try disabling internet messaging by going to
Tools - Options - Other uncheck the "enable Instant Messaging.."

And restarted Outlook2002 and it worked without delays!Hurray!

Now I started to think about why it had occured in the first place? Well I had been using MSN messenger but for some reason I choosed not to let MSN messenger to run, not even in the backgroud. This can be configuered in MSN messenger(Tools>OPtions>Settings and unchecking the appropriate checkbox). This was obviously the key to the problem.

If you have instant messaging enabled in Outlook and start up with messenger running in the background(You don't have to be logged in) and try to shutdown MSN messenger it will tell you that there are other programs running which uses functionality of messenger and which must be shutdown before quitting messenger. Now if you quit all programs and messenger as well and then start Outlook without starting messenger, not even in the background, the delay problem is back again. This will persist until you disable either instant messaging in Outlook or permit MSN messenger to run in the background allowing Outlook to use its functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back