Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook XP "Inbox" Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwash

Technical User
May 27, 2002
US
I'm trying to set up filters or Rules for my email. I'm running Outlook XP.

I want my 'outside' email going into my Inbox and then from there to go into appropriate folders.

When I go to 'email accounts' from the Rule Wizard I only see the folders I created...not my Inbox. Without my Inbox, my filters do not work.

Any ideas as to how to get my "Inbox" to show up in the 'choose the specific folder' of the Rule Wizard.

TIA

you mean your ougoing mail or your incoming?
The ones you recieve you want them to go automaticly to the folder (which you made) with the senter's name?
Or you want to put in those folder all the mails, either you recieve them from aomeone or you sent them to someone?

I want my incoming mail, that is being downloaded into my Inbox folder, to go into the folders I created.

However...once the mail is downloaded into my Inbox the mail does not filter into my created folders because Outlook does not show my Inbox as a floder to choose when I am creating my Rule.

When you are creating a rule like this the rule is applied when the message arrives as such it doesn't go into the In-Box. So lets say you want al mail from account 1 to go to a folder called account1 then the rule would look a bit like this
Apply this rule after the message arrives
Through the account1 account
Move it to the account1 folder.

Only messages that dont meet the criteria for the rule would end up in your in-box.

when you recieve your email means go to Inbox folder'
you dont have to choose the 'Inbox folder' to make the rule.

Tools->Messege Rules->Mail

1.' Select the Conditions for the rule'
you will check this
'When the From line contains people'

2. 'Select the Action for the rule'
check this
'Move to a specified folder'

3. 'Rule Description'
you will press
'contains people'(in blue) and choose the contact you want

and then
'specified'
to choose the folder you want this email to go.

4. Name of the rule
set a name for your first rule

press OK

at the new window press
'Apply now'

press OK

Congratulations you made your first rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back