Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook XP Email Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnamo999

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2003
US
So....

I am having a problem with a system that cannot get email from an Exchange Server.

It says that the logon credentials are invalid and yet i can set a laptop next to the desktop machine and it can authenticate with the same information and he can get his email. I can even log onto his system and get my own email on that system.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office XP Professional; deleting and recreating his profile through logon; and even contacted MSOFT. Nothing seems to help and MSOFT tech support is stymied.

Is there anything that anyone knows of that I can try? I would hate to have to format and reload his system (which I did to another guy last week who had this identical problem). If I can avoid this that would be great.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

I have had some difficulty with getting mail myself when I first set up our network. The problem was a number of things, and below I have listed the changes I need to make to get my system running smooth.

Hope it helps!

Go to configure Mail accounts Tools ->Email Accounts, Edit Account -> Select the account and hit "Change"
Confirm all the settings are correct and if so go to "More Settings" -> Advanced Tab and change the time of the Server Timeouts. Usually 2 minutes does the trick. Also be sure that your network configurations are set properly. You will be able to get internet and server information but you might be missing a DNS, WINS, or Default Gateway address, and any one might cause a problem with downloading email, depending on your setup. Make sure you are getting to the server, confirm the connection and transfer of information.

I have a customer with this same exact problem using Windows XP, Office XP. Even when he hits change and then clicks more settings, it tried to authenticate right there.
This all happened after moving the mailbox from an exchange 5 server over to exchange 2000. Confirmation of the authentication was proved when putting their \\server\exchange into a web browser. Which is something that only works when they move to 2000. I was wondering if the follow up to your note made any differences.

Charlene

Tried this, didnt change a thing. Any more ideas? (short or reformatting his hard drive which worked in the other case?

Thanks...
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back