Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook XP Calendar Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarick161

Programmer
Apr 22, 2003
US
We have an employee using Office XP whose email is configured externally (i.e. he uses our domain providers mail server and not our internal one (we use Microsoft Mail) like everyone else). When attempting to set an appointment and send it in a manner so the recipient can accept or reject it the receiver only receives a text file and not the usual GUI with the accept/reject/reschedule buttons on it. Does anyone have an idea what can be causing this? Is it because of our Microsoft Mail server or something else?

Addendum to my original post:

The appointment function in the calendar segment of Outlook functions properly when both the sender and the recipient both reside within our internal mail network. This issue only applies to those (on our network) receiving appointment requests from outside our mail network and the external users sending appointments into our network (recipients receive a .txt file).

Outlook uses its RTF mail format for sending appointments. Sounds like something (the server?) is converting that rtf to plain text.
Couple of tests:
1. have the user send himself an appointment
2. send a normal rtf message to someone and see if it converts.

to verify that a plain text message is being received (instead of rtf), look at the top of the message window (the colored bar) - it will tell you the message format there.

Tracy

It seems like you are correct. I'll be looking for quotes on Microsoft Exchange Enterpise Edition today. Does 10G sound about right for 130 licenses? We've been needing to upgrade for a while now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back