Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook won't stop importing

Status
Not open for further replies.

toughGirl

MIS
Mar 26, 2001
I'm trying to import a database from excel to outlook contacts. The problem is: the import wizard doesn't dicepher where the records end and keeps importing blank records. how do i define where the end of the list is?

thanks

tG
--{-{@

toughgirl,
Try to define a range in Excel for your items first. Highlight your entire range of data, then go to Insert, Name, Define, and add a named range. Then when you perform your import into Outlook select the Named Range instead of the entire worksheet.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for your responses. In response to franklin97355, you must have the excel spreadsheet closed to start an import and cannot pre-select.

In response to bkpchs237: I've actually selected the range - it works for columns only and is how you define the record set. The problem is after the program has imported the populated <u>rows</u>, it continues down throught the unpopulated rows, creating hundreds of blank contacts in outlook. And, if you know Excel at all, you cannot delete the rows beneath.

Please respond if you have other thoughts...

thanks!

tG
--{-{@

Just a thought:
Does Excel know where your data ends? Often doesn't when you import data.
Open the workbook, Ctrl-end should take you to the end of your data. If it doesn't then try manually deleting the rows after your data. Save the file and re-open. See the difference.
If that is the problem there are a number of vba solutions in the VBA forum (if this is a regular task)

Thanks,

Gavin

For anyone who reads this post - the best answer I found is to wash the database through Access. Do an import, then export as .xls and this fixes the problem.

cheers,

tG
--{-{@

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back